The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Next

Had to weigh in quickly on the book I just read. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is the third book in Stieg Larsson's trilogy about Lisbeth Salander, a Swedish woman whose constitutional rights are astonishingly violated. I'd already read the first two books in the trilogy, and I was thrilled to pick up the third book.

I am happy to report that the third book is just as good as the previous two. More character development on the part of Lisbeth in this book and a worthy outcome to many of the plot points from book #1 made this book a great read. I could not put it down.

I have no idea if Random House will use the outlines for future books the author left behind to try and continue the story of Lisbeth and her friends, but I can't imagine them not further mining the trilogy for profits. There is already work underway for screen versions of the stories.

Even though Larsson did not originally intend for this book to be the final end for the characters he created in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I find that each of the three books in the series is a complete story in itself, with a satisfactory ending. Though I am sad that my relationship with these characters may be over, I feel the author wrote three full books, each with its own fulfilling conclusion. I hope Random House doesn't screw the whole thing up by handing the outlines over to a ghostwriter not up to the task to produce future books in the series.

Comments