Crossing Crystal Bridges


Maman at the Crystal Bridges Museum
For years, visiting Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, tucked away in Bentonville, Arkansas, had been on my must list. Problem is, Bentonville isn't exactly on the way to anywhere. Getting there is a purposeful act.

However, in the winter, several friends alerted me to the fact that the museum was hosting a temporary exhibit called Men of Steel, Women of Wonder, in which (wait for it) the legendary Wonder Woman featured prominently. I took it as a sign from the universe that a trip to Bentonville was finally in order.

Before a marathon day of art, I knew I needed comestibles. I stopped off at Tavola Trattoria for a delicious brunch. For brunch, you can order off the menu, and they also have a bar of goodies available to every customer - baked goods, fruit, etc. Service was fantastic (The servers here know the menu and give good recommendations.), the food was delish, and the prices were reasonable. Highly recommended!

Fully sated, I pointed my GPS towards the museum, which is set stunningly in a ravine surrounded by an Ozark forest. When you pull into the museum to park, you're greeted by Yield, a stainless steel tree twisted by the wind as it reaches heavenward. In the inner courtyard, Maman the spider dominates the space, sheltering visitors as they access the foyer.
Just breathe, Nicole. Just. Breathe.

Once inside, you'll find an embarrassment of riches. The special exhibition featured all kinds of art inspired by Superman and Wonder Woman, including the first-ever comic book that featured Herself. (I only hyperventilated a little bit.) Some of it was heavily pop-art influenced, some was tongue-in-cheek, and all of it was interesting. There was even a fabulous Norman Rockwell of Rosie the Riveter - his interpretation of a "wonder woman." Love!

Then, I moved on to the permanent collection, which includes a gorgeous Stuart portrait of George Washington, some lovely Audubon (such vibrant colors!), and an arresting Warhol portrait of Dolly Parton. There's so much to see here! I loved the landscapes - great, sweeping views of America - and they also had a beautiful Jasper Johns flag.

Perhaps the most fascinating piece, however, was Old Self, Portrait of the Artist as He Will (Not) Be, by Evan Penny. This hyper-realistic sculpture of the head and shoulders of an older gentleman looked as if it would draw breath and speak to you at any moment. I was completely mesmerized and stared at it for quite a while. Remarkable.
This piece was completely
riveting. So lifelike.

I also took the opportunity to visit the Frank Lloyd Wright house that is on-site, feeling echoes of the Robie House in Chicago and Taliesin West in Scottsdale, Arizona. The house that has been painstakingly installed on the grounds at Crystal Bridges is compact but wonderfully practical and beautiful, with Wright's signature style and thinking evident throughout.

I was so pooped by this time that I didn't have the energy to enjoy the trails and more of the outdoor art (a travesty). This only gives me an excuse to return at a later date, though, and see another special exhibit! Check out what's coming up next!

I cannot recommend this place enough. Though you certainly have to be intentional to visit it, it's an amazing collection in a fantastic setting. World-class.

Sam Walton's Walmart name tags!
Since I was already in the area, I decided it couldn't hurt to explore a bit more, so I walked the charming town square and found myself at the Walmart Museum. Unless you live under a rock, you're aware that Bentonville is the home of Walmart, an enduring American brand founded by Sam Walton. (In fact, the Crystal Bridges Museum is a project of Alice Walton, one of Walton's children, and admission to the museum is free because it's underwritten by the retail giant.)

This small, well-planned attraction gives visitors an overview of Sam Walton and his drive to create what is today's Fortune #1 company. You start in a small "general store," where the sweet museum attendants chat with you about the area, where you're from, how you might be connected. (They were PRECIOUS, and I loved talking with them. Such a personal way to *show* people how we connect with one another in the South, not just tell them about it.)

Sam's work truck
I learned tons of fun facts about Sam - his love for flying, his quest to deliver low prices to cash-strapped customers, the way he involved his whole family in the business. Memorabilia abounds, including a recreation of Sam's office.
The museum takes you all the way through to today, explaining the company's current focus and key customer initiatives.

At the end of the attraction, visitors exit through an ice cream shop, where they can try a cone of butter pecan ice cream - Sam's favorite. And admission is free! A great stop.

A girl's gotta eat, amirite? Rabbit shepherd's
pie at Tusk and Trotter
Jonesing for dinner by this time, I got a table at Tusk and Trotter, a casual American brasserie with a focus on local ingredients. The menu changes often, but I had a delicious rabbit shepherd's pie and a lovely glass of red. Satisfying, particularly as it was chilly out.

Before long, it was back home again! I hate that it took me so long to visit this place. Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is an absolute jewel, and it's worth making a special trip to see it. I'll be back!



Comments