Movies and books.

Well, to pass the time, I've been watching alot of movies and reading alot of books. I just finished watching Before Sunset, with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. While I didn't find the movie earth-shattering or anything, I thought Delpy turned in a GREAT performance. She had a veryatural style of delivery in this film. I wonder how much of the dialogue was scripted and how much was ad-libbed . . . ? It was a short movie, which I also thought was a good choice. There's only so much of characters chit chatting while they leg it around Europe that one can take. I liked how the end of the movie was left ambiguous, but not in an annoying way. Any thinking viewer can guess what happens next, but the movie doesn't hit you over the head with it.

I also read Shem Creek, a novel by Dorothea Benton Frank. I thought it was great! In Shem Creek, Linda, a single mother, decides to move her family from New Jersey to South Carolina, where she grew up. She lands a job in a local restaurant, and Frank thrills the reader with descriptions of fluffy biscuits, mouth-watering pound cakes, and seafood in all its glorious paramutations. (I love how Southern novels - and often, plays - seem to incorporate food as such a basic part of their stories. In the South, food is very central to culture. ) As a result of her move, Linda rekindles her relationship with her sister, strengthens her bonds with her daughters, and finds true love. Now, who wouldn't like reading about that? It had a happy ending, which was something I was desperately needing, given all of the grim news coverage these days.

As for my Labor Day plans, they subsist of staying at home and trying not to use any gas. So, I'll be movie-watching and, perhaps, book-reading. Next up - 13 Going on 30 and The LadyKillers.

God bless.

Comments