Molasses Cookies. You'll thank me later.

Ok, I usually don't post recipes (although I do alot of cooking), but this one is a must-share. This recipe appeared in the October 2005 issue of Cooking Light, a magazine that I absolutely love. These cookies are delicious, easy to make, and they make me think of fall! This recipe is going to become an autmn tradition at my house.

Molasses Cookies
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1/2 c. molasses
1 large egg
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. granulated sugar
Cooking spray

Combine brown sugar and shortening in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg; beat well. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt), stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat at low speed just until blended. Cover and freeze 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place water in a small bowl; place granulated sugar in another small bowl. Lightly coat hands with cooking spray. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Dip one side of each ball in water; dip wet side in sugar. Place balls, sugar side up, on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.

*** Okay, notes from me: I halved the recipe, and it turned out fine. Also, I did not freeze the cookie dough for an hour. I only freezed mine for about 30 minutes. I also noticed that I did not need to dip the dough in water, as the moisture in the dough was more than enough to coat one side with sugar. Lastly, my cookies did not take 8 minutes to bake. They were ready in 6 minutes or so.

I loved these! And, at only 66 calories per cookie, I can have 2 or 3 without feeling guilty.

Comments

Nicole Bradshaw said…
I thought so, too. I think it's the vegetable shortening. I don't use it very often, but it keeps the cookies incredibly moist, AND they are nice and chewy!