More reviews

I saw The 40 Year-Old Virgin DVD recently, so I thought I'd weigh in with a review. In this movie, Andy Stitzer (played by Steve Carrell) leads a dull life. He works behind a desk at a chain electronics store. He lives alone. He plays the tuba, reads comic books, collects action figures, and rides his bike to work. Andy has few friends, and he spends most of his time at home, alone.

One night, some of the guys Andy works with invite him to their poker group. (They are short one person, so they need someone to fill in.) During the evening of card playing, Andy's new friends find out that Andy is a virgin. Of course, everyone at the store immediately knows, and everyone wants to try and hook Andy up with someone to help him to lose his virginity.

But here's the thing that makes the story interesting. Andy doesn't want to have sex with just ANYONE. He turns down the store manager and a tipsy bimbo he picks up at a bar. Andy has his sights set on Trish (played by Catherine Keener), a pretty single mom who sells trinkets on ebay. The story of their romance makes for a funny, warm, and ultimately satisfying ending to Andy's adventure.

First of all, let me say that I am not usually a fan of bawdy comedies. Scatalogical humor usually does nothing for me. However, I thought this was a great movie, largely due to the performance of Steve Carrell and the script. (There were a few bathroom scenes that made me cringe, but I can get over that because the rest of the content is good.) First of all, Carrell's character is actually somewhat believable (exaggerated, perhaps, but believable), and Carrell can actually ACT. I thought he did a good job creating Andy's persona, someone who has resigned himself to the fact that he may never have sex, and who tries to live his life without the kind of intimacy that most of us take for granted. Secondly, Andy's cadre of friends from work all turn in strong performances, and they all have subplots of their own. (David, played by Paul Rudd, is getting over a brief relationship. Jay, played by Romany Malco, cheats on his girlfriend but cowers before her.) What results is an engaging ensemble comedy. Language, nudity, and adult situations are found throughout the film, so it is only recommended for adult audiences.

I've also recently finished reading Blue Like Jazz, a fascinating book by Donald Miller. Miller writes with a refreshing honesty and humility about Christian spirituality. This is not the kind of book I think of when I think of religious writing, but it may just be the most spiritual book I've ever read. Miller writes without filtering his thoughts and feelings through the ideology of the modern Christian church. His main messages seem to be that God wants us to love everyone. And he really means everyone - hippies, drug addicts, homeless people, Democrats, homosexuals. Miller is incredulous that today's church metes out its love to only those that follow its prescribed rules. He says in many passages that he feels the modern church judges people instead of loving them. Miller illustrates this assertion with stories about a motley group of his own friends and acquaintances, including Andrew the Protestor (a human-rights and environmental activist), Tony the Beat Poet, and Pastor Rick.

Miller's second main point is that we as Christians needs to wean ourselves from the intense self-addiction that most of us have experienced for our entire lives. Miller maintains that most people spend the majority of their time looking after themselves - feeding themselves, grooming themselves, working to earn money so they can satisfy their own needs and wants. I think this is one of the most true observations I have ever heard. We ARE addicted to pleasing ourselves. While Miller believes that we should love ourselves, he maintains that it is only when we think outside of ourselves and put the needs of others above ourselves that we are truly experiencing Christ-like love.

What I liked most about this book is that Miller is not self-righteous. He doesn't claim to have all the answers. He seems to believe that we can (and should) all break bread together. He thinks that the most effective witness for Christians is to love everyone, including (and perhaps especially) non-Christians, without trying to "sell" them on the idea of Jesus. I like it that Miller doesn't consider Jesus to be a product that he has to peddle on every street corner. Miller advocates loving people unconditionally as a powerful way to introduce them to Christ - they see Christ in you. I will be checking into Miller more in the coming weeks. He's definitely a Christian voice that I find myself identifying with.

Comments

Joe Holt said…
I was surfing around and found your review. I was, until now, unaware of Donald Miller. I'm interested in learning more after reading your thoughts, then checking out his website. My pile of books to read seems to grow larger by the day, but I may add this one ("Blue Like Jazz") to it. To now give you a suggestion of my own, have you ever read any Brian McLaren? I connect strongly with him and I think that you would appreciate him as well, if you don't already.
Nicole Bradshaw said…
I have unfortunately not read any Brian McLaren, although I think that his "Finding Faith" looks intriguing. Have you ever read it? Any specific recommendations from his published works?
Joe Holt said…
I have, in fact read "Finding Faith", and hold it in high regard. I have seen Brian speak both in a conference setting, and at the church where he is the founding pastor (Cedar Ridge Community Church, just outside Washington DC). You can get a flavor of his approach by visiting the church's website at crcc.org. They keep an inventory of sermons and talks that you can listen to online. If you choose to read "Finding Faith", I think, based on the thoughts you've expressed, that you'll find it thought provoking and useful. I have.
Nicole Bradshaw said…
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I will definitely check it out!

NB
Nicole Bradshaw said…
Sounds interesting! Have either of you gone to see Chronicles of Narnia in the theatre yet? I read all of the Narnia books when I was in junior high, but I haven't revisited them since then. If either of you have seen it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

NB
Joe Holt said…
No I haven't yet, but want to (kind of like the "pile of books" deal). I'll check in again once I've seen it. If you see it first, I'll be interested in your thoughts.