The first breath of spring

The high was in the 70s two days last week! (God, I love living in the South!) It's on days like today that I adore working downtown. We strolled out in the sunshine to grab some lunch, which we ate al fresco in the spring breeze. We people-watched near the Governor's Mansion. We ambled back to the office down Capitol Street, which is one of the prettiest avenues downtown.

I have a confession to make. Every spring, I turn hedonist. When I was in college, that meant that on particularly balmy afternoons, I could be found laying on the grass instead of sitting in the classroom. I love the sight of daffodils peeking their brave, fluffy heads into the world. Forsythia, sending out little emissaries dressed in bright yellow coats. Such things make my fingers itch for the shovel. My mind goes on wild flights of fancy - a new patio, an herb garden, and a big flower bed out by the back fence. I've already bought a hammock to hang up this year. It's white and forest green, and it's big enough for two people. I'm dreaming of spending lazy afternoons in it with my husband. Once it's hung, I'll hunt up a little side table. For my iced tea, of course.

We hung a front porch swing last season, and I can't tell you how wonderful it's been. On nice evenings, we'll take our drinks out there as the sun sets, and we'll wave to all the people walking their dogs. We'll swing and talk about how our day went, what we plan to do next, our mutual friends and acquaintances.

So glad it's spring!

Comments