10 lashes with a wet noodle.

Okay, I haven't posted in AGES. Ten lashes with a wet noodle for me. But I have been busy. Very busy, I tell you!

I did finish reading Naked by David Sedaris. I thought it was funny, especially the essays about his experiences at a nudist camp/resort. However, of all the Sedaris books I've read, I laughed hardest at Me Talk Pretty One Day. So, if you're interested in checking him out, I highly recommend that you start there.

Secondly, I went to see the Kessler production of The Producers. What fun! I really enjoyed this show, particularly Jason Simon, who played Max Bialystock. (He'd previously played the cowardly lion in a touring production of The Wizard of Oz, and you could see alot of the lion in his Bialystock character.) I personally thought that Austin Owen, who played Leo Bloom, did a better job than Matthew Broderick did in the movie version of this show. John West, as over-the-top Carmen Ghia, pushed his type to the limit. While some moments seemed very forced, other touches were pure genius. We had great seats (row K, center section), so we really got a good look at the production. Over all, I was very impressed. We laughed like hell and enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Oh, I also saw the movie Nanny Mcphee, starring Emma Thompson. What fun!! I SO enjoyed this fresh take on a rather un-Mary-Poppins-like nanny who whips seven (that's right, SEVEN) rebellious children into shape. First of all, good for Emma Thompson, who doesn't mind donning a few warts and a fat suit to make Nanny McPhee all that she should be. The kids are adorable, Colin Firth (as their bumbling father) is endearing, and Nanny McPhee walks off with the whole show. As an added bonus, Angela Lansbury gives a hilarious supporting performance as the children's crotchety great aunt. This is a fun family film, but it is also entertaining for adults. Two thumbs up!

Upcoming - The Mississippi Symphony Orchestra will be presenting Mozart by Candlelight next weekend (Saturday, January 27), and I know I'M planning on being there. Tickets are only $15, and the performance will be presented at 7:30 p.m. at Belhaven's Center for the Arts.

In addition, New Stage Theatre will present The Good Thief, a fast-paced Irish crime story by two-time Tony nominee Conor McPherson, at the end of January. The show is billed as a violent rollercoaster in which a petty thug recounts his final, bloody job. (Think Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas and The Departed.) The play, a one-man-show, features actor Chris Roebuck (who I think is ready to carry a show on his own in this town) and is directed by Turner Crumbley (who we loved as Bob Cratchit in this year's A Christmas Carol.) Performance dates are January 27 at 10:00 p.m., January 28 at 7:30 p.m., and January 29 at 7:30 pm. Tickets are a mere $5 (cash/check at door). I'm SO GLAD they are working in some earlier performance times for this show. Usually, shows that are not on the mainstage at this theatre are not presented until at least 10 p.m. in the Hewes Room (at which time, quite frankyl, I am either asleep or well on my way there). I say good for them for offering the Jackson theatregoer a few options.

Comments