Unplugging

Our sweet little cabin!
 After one takes a trip to New York City, one can use some down time. Luckily, I'd booked us for a family weekend at Jellystone Park in Pelahatchie months before. I'd been wanting to take little man over there to check it out for a few years, and fall is a great time to be outdoors in Mississippi.
If you've never been to a Jellystone Park camping ground, you're in for a treat! It's a nice family camp, with cabins, RV hookups, and places where you can pitch your own tent! Because my crew isn't much for roughing it, we booked a fully-stocked cabin on the lake. Since we had extra beds, we invited my sister and her two sweet boys to join us. 

View from the back deck
We loved our little cabin! It was small but snug, with a full kitchen and a wonderful little back deck on the water. We checked in on Friday night, enjoyed the lake view, and pored over Saturday's activities sheet. Because it was mid-October, the camp was in full Halloween mode, with tons of themed events. 

On Saturday morning, we made a big breakfast and headed out for some fun. We started at the playground next to the Ranger Station, where the boys climbed and slid and had a grand time before deciding to try out the (free) putt putt golf course. After whacking the ball a bit, it was Pledge with a Bear at the flagpole, where we met Boo-Boo the Bear. 
Hey, Boo-Boo!

Then, we headed to the Activities Center to board the Hey-Hey Ride. A tractor pulls the trailer all around the park, and you sing songs and wave (Hey-hey. Get it?) to all of the other campers.

Our stomachs growling for lunch, we headed back to the cabin and cooked up baked chicken, macaroni and cheese and green beans. Fortified, it was back to the Activities Center, where we decorated (and ate) cookies, painted ceramics, tie-dyed our own T-shirt and watched The Great Pumpkin on the big TV!

We went back to the cabin to get a fire started. While hubs tended it and prepped for an outdoor supper, we scooted back out to the kids' version of the Trail of Terror, a small indoor blacklight trail with candy at the end. (There is a much scarier walking version of this activity for the older kids. You walk through the pitch-black woods, and costumed monsters jump out at you. I opted for the "no nightmares" offering.) Then, it was off to roast hot dogs and make S'mores under the stars. We'd brought some bags of candy with us, so we also welcomed other campers who came trick or treating. So fun!

Professional tie-dyer
Brian and I spent most of the evening, though, with our feet propped up in front of the fire. We put Clay to bed, I poured myself a glass of wine, and we stayed out there, talking and laughing, until the fire burned out. As it got colder, and I wrapped a fleece blanket around my shoulders, I thought to myself that I don't sit in front of a wood fire enough. There's something relaxing and mesmerizing about watching the flames lick the wood away. (When I got home, I dragged our fire pit out of storage. I've already built a fire or two in it since, and I hope to build more.)

The next morning, after a quick stop at the Rangers' Station so Clay could get a souvenir, we packed up and headed home, other adventures in our future. We so enjoyed our trip to Jellystone. I can't wait to return in the summer, when we can hit the splash pad and rent a boat for fishing! 



Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire,
I hold with those who favor fire.


Comments