Merrying in NYC!


Dinner at Keen's! Scrumptious!
Last year was the first time I'd ever visited New York City at Christmas, and I LOVED it. For my 2016 trip, I'd asked several folks to tag along, but no one could make time. (Sad face.) But after I returned last year, some of my friends told me they wished they had come with me! So *this year,* I had some takers!

Melanie, one of my dearest friends, let me know she was up for it. I set to planning her a first-time trip to NYC that she'd never forget! I flew in just before her, on a Wednesday, and checked into the Best Western Premiere Herald Square hotel. We'd chosen this property due to its location - right near the flagship Macy's - and price point. 

It was late afternoon, and I was starved. So I started my trip at Keen's Steakhouse, which was right down the street from our hotel. Oh, joy! Rapture! I had a rare filet with creamed spinach and mashed potatoes, washed down with a glass of red. It's a high price point, but the food was amazing, as was the service. I settled into my cozy booth, chewed slowly, and let the moment sink in. 

From there, I walked over to Winter Village at Bryant Park. It wasn't very crowded, so I browsed the booths (Strand Book Store had some hilarious merchandise! I couldn't resist a few gifts for friends!) and admired the skaters whirling around the rink. Then, I walked to Times Square. There was a little holiday gift shop there, as well, with a gingerbread version of the NYC skyline! After enjoying the hustle and bustle for a bit, I walked a little further to my evening entertainment - a production of Drunk Shakespeare at The Lounge (a hidden library of over 15,000 books, right in the heart of Broadway).

All the Christmas feels at Bryant Park's Winter Village

I'd meant to catch a performance of Drunk Shakespeare the last time I was in the city, but the dates hadn't lined up right. This time, I'd planned around it a bit. The show's premise is this - One actor in the evening's cast takes 4-5 shots right before the show starts. Then, madcap hilarity ensues. Though the show is from the Shakespeare canon (on my evening, they were doing MacBeth), it's been cut down a good bit; sprinkled liberally with pop culture references, ad libs, and audience participation; and then, of course, influenced by the general alcoholism. 

Remembering at the 9/11 Museum
The audience gets in on the fun A LOT during these shows. The production is performed in the round, in an oblong library, and the performers are nearly in your lap. In addition, you can order drinks and snacks throughout, adding to the general feeling of abandon. Frequently, there are opportunities for audience members to briefly become part of the show. In addition, audience members are selected to become the king and queen of MacBeth's world. 

In short, I laughed so hard I could barely breathe. Whit Leyenberger and Mike Sause were standouts that kept me in stitches! Absolutely worth checking out. All of the performers are incredibly versatile, with stand-up comic tendencies. Tequila and laughter are free-flowing. You will LOVE IT!

The last column at the 9/11 Museum
After the show, I ambled back to my hotel and turned in. After a light, quick breakfast the next morning, I caught a car to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. Though I'd been to the plaza outside the memorial, I hadn't had the nerve to go inside on my last trip to NYC. And it's definitely not a "Christmasy" place to visit. But it's an important one. So in I went. 

I highly recommend purchasing your tickets ahead of time, so you can skip the (loooong) line for that. Then, you can get in a quick line to show your ticket and move through security. I'm not sure what else to tell you about this memorial. It's incredibly moving. It's difficult. The lives of both the victims and the survivors are made very real to you via multimedia, artifacts, personal effects, letters, audio recordings, and just amazing storytelling. The juxtaposition of huge pieces of twisted steel near small, intimate items, like a pair of children's pajamas recovered from one of the planes, will break your heart and bring the tragedy into sharp relief. 

Communing with our first president at
Washington Square Park
I spent the better part of the day here, stopping for a quick bite in the on-site cafe before finishing my tour and making my way out. Before I left the area, I stopped in at the historic St. Paul's Chapel (Trinity Wall Street) for a moment. The church was the site of an extraordinary relief effort in the days following 9/11. The last time I'd visited the chapel, the museum across the street wasn't yet complete. Now, I imagine that the exhibits that had been in the chapel are either part of the museum's collection (though they weren't currently on display) or stored away. The church yard is lovely and green, featuring very old gravestones. 

It was cold, but clear, so I walked to Washington Square Park. The arch was lovely, the sky was blue, and a group of policemen in uniform treated me to a quick concert of carols! I snapped a few quick photos of the statues and people-watched a bit. My feet getting a bit sore, I got a car back to the hotel to rest a bit and prepare for Melanie's arrival. 

The holiday windows at Macy's!
Once Melanie got to the hotel, we rested for a bit and then headed out to Herald Square. I wanted to introduce her to NYC in a big way, and there's no better way than the six gorgeous holiday windows at Macy's, lighting up the night! We marveled at the animatronic displays, then headed in to Stella 34, an Italian restaurant inside Macy's, for dinner. Because it was Mel's first NYC visit, the restaurant staffers seated us by a window with a lovely view of the Empire State Building! I had a fantastic dish of ravioli, and Mel had a hearty beef ragu pasta. 

After dinner, we made our way to Rockefeller Center (checking out the Lord and Taylor windows along the way), where we saw the Sak's windows (which told the story of Snow White), the gorgeous tree, and St. Patrick's Cathedral. Because it was a Thursday night, these attractions (while still crowded) weren't quite as packed as they'd be during the weekend. We walked the perimeter of the cathedral, craning our necks to appreciate the gorgeous ceiling.

On the way back to the hotel, we made a quick stop at Grand Central Station so Mel could take it in, then refreshed ourselves with a drink and a snack at the Campbell Apartment, which is now gloriously re-opened for business (and packed)!

More to come . . . 

Rockefeller Center with my bestie


Comments