Mountain Mamas (cont.)

Zip lining with Navitat in Barnardsville

Day 5

We had a fairly early morning on Monday, rising and dressing in our activewear before heading out to the next stop on our big, beautiful breakfast tour - Biscuit Head. (On the way, we made a quick stop at a Firestone. The temperature had dropped a bit the night before, and the low tire light in the truck had come on. They checked our air pressure for free, and we were on our way within minutes! Thanks, folks!)

We loved our meal here! You order at the counter, then take a seat. They bring your food to your table when it's ready. They offer a variety of gravies (fried chicken, pork sausage, red eye, etc.), and you can even order GRAVY FLIGHTS there, sampling several different gravies at once. (I must admit, the Mississippi in me was a bit affronted that I had to come to North Carolina to learn that gravy flights were a thing. There is absolutely NO REASON Mississippi shouldn't have a corner on this market. We do gravy. We do it well. Someone get Robert St. John on gravy flights, stat.) They also have a jam bar, featuring a variety of homemade jams/spreads as well as some flavored butters. What fun!

The gravy is on-point at Biscuit Head.


I ordered a biscuit with pork sausage gravy, a fruit bowl and a big cup of hot coffee. Food came out lickety-split, and I ate it all up! No wonder people like this place! We seemed to have hit it at just the right time - fairly early on a weekday. So, there was little to no waiting, and we were in and out quickly.

Which was important, because we had places to be! We hopped into the truck and drove about 30 minutes to go zip lining in the mountains near Barnardsville, North Carolina, with Navitat! Melanie had never been zip lining before, and this company had gotten excellent reviews. I couldn't wait to zip through the treetops with her!

We were there a little early, so after checking in, we lazed in the swinging chairs, enjoying the sunshine. When it was time to get started, the guides suited us up and provided initial instructions. We'd booked the treetop tour, their classic adventure, and it didn't disappoint! After a short and slightly harrowing van ride up a steep gravel road, we were off!

Finding fall

So much fun! Some of the zips are nice and long, and you have fabulous views of the forest and the mountains beyond. Some of the zips take you through tight tree tunnels (Adventure!), and at other times, you cross sky bridges. You end the experience with a rappel.

The weather was absolutely perfect for this activity - not too hot or cold, clear and sunny. Our guides Jesse and Scott were lots of fun, and the group we were zip lining with was fantastic - chatty, funny, enthusiastic. (We had two friends plus another couple from Georgia on the tour, and they were my people, ya'll. We joked and cut up the whole way!) It made the whole experience that much better. Two thumbs up!

After zip lining, we returned to downtown Asheville for juicy burgers at Mayfel's. I had the classic burger with cheddar cheese, fries and an RC Cola, which was just what I wanted after zipping through the canopy. (Something about spending lots of time outside gives me a hankering for beef!) Melanie and I dug into our lunches, chatting about group travel activities and how Asheville had completely delivered on the whole trip.

At that point, it was sadly time for Melanie and I to part ways. She was flying out that evening, and I had more hikes to conquer. With hugs and love, I sent her off on a final, quick round of shopping and to the airport. Meanwhile, I drove back up to the Blue Ridge Mountains.

My trusty hiking boots carried me to Skinny Dip Falls!


The first hike on my list was Skinny Dip Falls, which you can access across the street from the Looking Glass Rock overlook. The out-and-back hike is around 1.5 miles, and you're rewarded for that effort with a gorgeous waterfall! Be prepared for a steep trail at times, climbing down a ravine and back up again, hoofing it up forest stairs, etc., but it's completely do-able. (Don't forget your hiking boots!)

When I got to the waterfall, I couldn't believe it, but there were still people actually swimming. In October! It couldn't have been more than 65 degrees at that elevation. By the time I arrived, though, they were packing up, so in a few minutes, I had the waterfall mostly to myself. A gorgeous tumble of  rock, vegetation and glorious clear water. Just beautiful and serene.

Next, I backtracked toward Asheville a little further to hike to the Fryingpan Mountain Lookout Tower. This short hike promised amazing views. It was a clear day, and I was in search of the view I was promised, so off I went up the steep, 1.5-mile (roundtrip) gravel road that would get me there.

Y'all. This hike was so worth it. At the end of the road, save some energy to climb the five flights of stairs that get you to the top of the tower. Then take a breath and look around. And around. And around. Views are amazing and panoramic. I thought I had better views here than I'd had from Devil's Courthouse earlier in the trip. I had the excellent fortune to be at the top of the tower alone for my visit, and it was special. Warm from the hike, standing on the top of the world, and stretching my view (and my soul, I think) out to the horizon.


Views from atop the Fryingpan Mountain Lookout Tower are panoramic.


After spending a bit of time atop the tower, I climbed down and hiked back to the truck. If you need a break (or a restroom) after hiking Fryingpan, not to worry. You are right near the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway. After my hike, I stopped there for a break. They have restrooms, a shop and an on-site restaurant, in addition to fabulous overlooks furnished with seating to appreciate the expansive view.

The altar and dome at the Basilica of St. Lawrence


After relaxing a bit, it was back to Asheville and my cozy hotel room for the night. I did pop back out that evening, but only once. I was the absolute last customer (at around 9 p.m.) at Kilwin's candy shop. (Sometimes a girl just needs some candy, you know?) I breezed in there at about 8:55 p.m. and loaded up. They legitimately turned the sign from open to closed right behind me when I left. As I was checking out, the sweet store clerk asked if I'd like a receipt. I gave him the dead eye and told him I didn't want any paper trail on how much candy I was buying at 9 p.m. on a Monday night. He assured me my secret was safe with him.

Day 6

On my last morning in Asheville, I watched the sunrise from my hotel room bed. (We had a great view of part of the city and the mountains beyond, facing east.) After getting ready, I had another fantastic breakfast at Early Girl Eatery, then walked to the Basilica of St. Lawrence. (We'd actually tried to visit the basilica on Sunday, but we'd timed it poorly. Mass was already ongoing when we'd arrived.) You can duck in a side door to appreciate the impressive stained glass, altars and perfect domed ceiling. As a bonus, it was easily walkable from the hotel - just down the street!

Beautiful stained glass
After the basilica, I planned to be in Hendersonville, North Carolina, for the rest of the day. As such, I packed up my suitcases and checked out of the hotel so I wouldn't have to return there before making my way to the airport. Next, I swung by Grove Arcade one last time to pick up a few souvenirs. (I loved some of the items I discovered at Mountain Made - cute pins, a watercolor, some adorable little birds fashioned out of dried gourds.)

Then, I drove the 30 minutes or so to Grandad's Apples! I had come to Asheville in search of fall, and fall I would have. Though we grow many, many things in Mississippi, apple orchards are not prevalent here. I thought it would be a fun, seasonal activity to try while I was a bit farther north.

Gettin' my apple on!
And it was! They had a fantastic bakery and cute little store on site,  in addition to a play area for the kids complete with piles and piles of pumpkins. The mountains rose protectively  around the orchard, and you could pick apples yourself or buy them. They also sold other seasonal produce - pumpkins, squash, gourds, etc. (In addition to baskets and bags for purchases, they had wheelbarrows! It was hilarious to see these little old ladies navigating giant wheelbarrows full of purchases up to the register!) They had some animals (donkeys, goats) that you could visit and feed, and tons of rocking chairs and picnic tables where you could lounge to eat your bakery snack.

I got a small apple cider slush and headed for the corn maze. It was a peaceful amble among the rustling dried corn stalks (I remember bearing right a lot.), and by the time I'd finished my slush, I'd made it through! (This experience did make me remember how creepy corn fields can be, though. Every time the wind blew a little, the dried stalks and leaves would rustle. I wonder if they do anything scary in this maze - like a haunted walk/maze - at night. It would be *quite* effective!)

After walking the orchard a bit more, I got a warm, crispy cider donut, settled into a comfy rocking chair and enjoyed the view and the people-watching.


The mountains rise protectively around the orchard.















It was about 12:30 p.m. by the time I'd finished at the apple orchard, and I had one more stop I wanted to make. Before coming to the area, I'd scoured the internet in search of area wineries with mountain views. I found just what I was looking for at Point Lookout Vineyards, which was just up the road from the apple orchard. The winery has only been open for about year, and it's a gem. Situated amongst the vines, with impressive views of the surrounding mountains, this is not only a great place for a tasting, it would be an amazing spot for any type of social event.

I parked the truck and made my way to the tasting area. I ordered one tasting, which comes with 5 different wines and a mead. (They make meads!!) As it was lunchtime, I also ordered a cheese tray, which featured olives, several types of cheese, cured meats and crackers. For the tasting, I tried the Reisling (light), the Rosé (very drinkable), the Merlot, the Pavillion (a delightful blend), and the Mocha Red (like a port). Then, I chose the Paradise Mead. (I think I'd meant to select the Cyser - an apple blend - but I checked the wrong box. Needless to say, the tropical mead was yummy as well.)

Le sigh. I never want to leave.
I spent the next couple of hours tasting wines, nibbling cheese, staring at mountains and feeling every knot in my body loosen a bit. The gentleman providing the tasting was a delight - attentive, conversational, but not crowding. I found a corner rocking chair that thrust me in the middle of the marvelous scenery and almost went to sleep in the sunshine. This was a perfect way to end the trip. Just perfect.

After rousing myself at around 3 p.m., I realized with a pang that it was time to leave North Carolina. It was a quick 20 minutes (perhaps even less) to the airport, where I turned in my rental car and caught my (blessedly uneventful) flights home.

Oh, how I loved this adventure. The hiking. The views. The food. The company! Waterfalls. Mountains. Biscuits. Laughter. It just couldn't have been better. Mark my words, Blue Ridge Mountains:  I'll be back.









Comments