The Great Outdoors

Beautiful Lake Chatauqua on a perfect day! This gem is located in Crystal Springs.


Between telecommuting, shops closed, arts events cancelled and restaurants a mine field, one can get a little stir crazy at home. The same four walls can be a bit tiresome.

On the reservoir!

It has been an absolute blessing that for the past two months, we've had largely gorgeous weather. Sunny, temperate, not too hot (yet). And luckily, the outdoors is open and virus-free. So on the weekends, I've headed out into the sunshine. 

I started paddle boarding on the reservoir last summer, and I love it. (The reservoir was actually closed for a couple of weeks, but it has re-opened now, and I'm only a quick, 5-minute stroll from the water's edge.) Including suiting up and walking my board down there on my rolling cart, I can be paddling in about 15 minutes. I paddle for an hour or two, maneuvering into the water lilies and watching out for gators, then head back. I sit down on the board and dip my feet in the water when I get too warm or need a rest. Heaven.

Some days at lunch, I've packed up little man (who's been grateful to have a break from "distance learning"), thrown together a picnic lunch, and driven to the reservoir overlook on the Natchez Trace. It's a quick, 15-minute trip from my house, the views are amazing, you can spread a blanket in sun or shade and there's tons of room for social distancing. Honestly, there have been days when this alone has saved me. We've done it several times, also occasionally picking up takeout to eat. It's just nice to breathe fresh air for a bit. 

I drafted my friend Melanie into a trip to Rocky Springs a couple of weekends ago. It's about 20 minutes south of Clinton on the Natchez Trace. The visitor center and bathrooms were closed, but the trails and springs were open. You can learn all about the old settlement there, explore the little church and cemetery, and wade in the cool water. We took a picnic lunch of cold chicken, cheese, crackers, fruit, chocolate and wine to sustain us. 


Sweet Mel at Rocky Springs. Blue skies, green trees and cool water.


My friend Shawn posted a list of "great Mississippi hikes" to my Facebook page, and I used it to discover a whole new place to hike - Chatauqua Park! We had ham biscuits and fruit salad before leaving, then drove to Crystal Springs. I'd never been to this lovely nature park before. We walked the treetops trail (an elevated boardwalk in the forest), marveled at the (insanely hard) disc golf course, took the path that looped the lake (just beautiful, with little bridges, benches and overlook points), and also hiked the trail of tranquility (largely wooded). This place is gorgeous. The lake is fed by some streams, and since it had rained recently, the water was merrily rushing. We had a picnic lunch before heading back. 

The tour road at Vicksburg National Military Park
is still open to hikers and bikers.

While hiking Chatauqua, Shawn mentioned that she'd never been to the Vicksburg National Military Park. What? How on earth do you live in Mississippi for any length of time without going there? We decided to remedy that with all speed. Off we went next Sunday. Due to the pandemic, the tour road of the park is open to walkers and bikers, but not to cars. (This also means you walk in without paying a fee.) I knew that meant the park wouldn't be very crowded. We got there at around 9:30 a.m. on a perfect morning and decided to walk the ~4-mile loop from the entrance to the Illinois Monument (my absolute favorite - great acoustics inside!) and back. Perfection. We tromped the battlefields, stared down the cannon barrels, and took pictures of the statues. 

When we were finished, we grabbed takeout at Rusty's Riverfront Grill (their grilled grouper sandwich is soooo yummy) and ate it by the river before heading back. 

I've also really enjoyed puttering in my backyard garden of late. I've harvested blackberries from the plants we put in long ago, breathed the scent of jasmine and gardenias, cut tons of knockout roses for indoor arrangements, and put in two little pepper plants for spring! (I also have two cucumber plants, but I haven't seated them yet.) All my patio pots are planted with geraniums and lantana, and they are blooming madly. I've been filling the bird feeder frequently, and it's a bird and squirrel party back there. Last night, I swung in the hammock for about an hour, watching the leaves dance in the wind, eating bites of dark chocolate and humming to myself as the light faded from the sky. I've been very thankful to have so much lovely outdoor space to enjoy. 

Staying at home or not, there is much to be grateful for. 💗

Cannons in the foreground, with the Illinois Monument in the background, at
Vicksburg National Military Park. 


Comments