Back to the Beach

Waking up to the waves . . .


We get so much summer in the Deep South. So. Much. Summer. By the time September rolls around, I am ready for fall, and I generally spend most of the month willing it to arrive. Unfortunately, temperatures typically remain in the 80s/90s until October around these parts. 

Instead of fighting it this year, I decided to embrace it. After a busy couple of weeks at work, I was ready for a break. I stole away to Gulf Shores, Alabama, for a long beach weekend with two precious ladies - Caron and Kelly. 

Oh, friends. I needed it. I needed it so badly. I needed the ocean. I needed the friendship. And I needed the alcohol. We booked a beachfront (Caron only had one piece of guidance on the condo - "I prefer beachfront." Achievement unlocked.), fifth-floor condo in a low-density unit (only six floors total) close to Gulf State Park. Two beautiful bedrooms, three beds, two baths, a kitchen, a dining area, a sitting area, and (most importantly) a balcony overlooking the ocean. (There was a pool at the condo, but we never used it. I can swim in a pool at home. But I can only swim in the ocean at the beach!)


Day 1

We drove down after work on a Thursday, stopping for dinner at Ed's Burger Joint in Hattiesburg on Kelly's good advice. I was particularly interested to check it out because this restaurant will be opening a location soon in Jackson. It was so cute! Astroturf on the floor, fun car-themed decor, tons of outdoor space (picnic tables, swings, corn hole, etc.), and really good food. I had the bacon jam burger and onion rings, and they were delish (and sooo filling - the burgers have two patties)!

We made it to our condo well after dark, but we sat out on the balcony drinking wine, talking and laughing until after midnight before hitting the hay. 

Day 2

The next morning, the sun rose on glorious breaking waves. First things first - a morning beach walk. When I'm at the beach, I love walking with my toes in the waves first thing in the morning. I love doing it with company. And I love doing it alone. I just love being out there with the ocean and the birds before the beach wakes up and feels like someone's vacation. Early in the morning, the sand still belongs to the water, with myself being one of the few interlopers. 

Afterwards, the three of us loaded up and drove to a perennial favorite - Sunliner Diner - for a late breakfast. Delicious! I had a veggie omelette with hash browns and coffee. The atmosphere of this place is so themey and cute - chrome, red/white/black, throwback server uniforms, and menus that look like newspapers. We loved our meal here, and our waitress was precious! We were on our way out just as most customers began arriving. 



Afterwards, we made a quick stop to pick up necessities for the condo - coffee and filters, some extra paper products, items we'd forgotten to pack, etc. Then, it was back to the condo, into our swimsuits, and onto the beach! We rented three chairs and an umbrella for the day, and what a day it was! The weather was perfect, the waves were delicious and the breeze made me feel like Beyonce. I dearly love swimming in the ocean, walking on the beach, and lying in the shade of an umbrella. We sipped on drinks from the cooler, read our novels, chatted, and laughed. Just a blissful day. 

After several hours, we were tired out and ready for dinner. We showered, dressed and walked to Picnic Beach. None of us had ever been there before, but we were eager to try it out. (Plus, you could see from the outside that places like Sea N Suds were packed. Tons of people, hourlong wait. No thank you.) The restaurant has everything from fried chicken to BBQ to healthy bowls and smoothies. I really wanted to try the BBQ, but alas! I was wearing a white shirt! I settled for the tuna bowl, which turned out to be really good - tuna, ponzu, seaweed, cucumber, avocado, brown rice, etc. We sat at a cute picnic table and drank margaritas and hard lemonade. After we ate, we walked straight to the beach and all the way back along the water. So, so beautiful. Then, more wine and gossiping and snacks at the condo. 

(I must take a moment here to note that Caron has spent the summer working on perfecting her praline recipe. She brought a big tub of her latest effort with us, and I may have eaten my weight in pralines over the weekend. But it was all in the name of research, and I believe in the advancement of science.) 

Day 3

On Saturday, we woke early and dressed in our workout gear. We were renting bikes at Gulf State Park, and we wanted to be there soon after they opened at 8 a.m. so we could get some miles in before it got too hot. 

I've been to Gulf Shores many, many times, but I've very rarely been to this park. Shame on me! It's conveniently located, gorgeous, and full of well-maintained trails and facilities. We rented three bikes, and we were off! We chose to ride a main boardwalk up through the middle of the park (stopping at overlooks and to take photos of particularly pretty scenery) and then make our way to the park's highest point. According to our bike rental attendant, this would take us past some of the most beautiful places to ride. (FYI - The park also rents canoes, kayaks, and paddle boards. I can hardly wait for my next trip!)

You can bike boardwalks that take you around lakes and over canals, in/around alligator habitats, and underneath oak trees dripping with Spanish moss. You'll find benches, restrooms, and other guest-friendly touches throughout. I recommend hats, sunscreen, athletic clothes/shoes, and bottled water. We spent about two leisurely hours cruising around the trails before our tummies started rumbling. 

A short hop down the road, we found Foodcraft, which is the restaurant attached to The Lodge at Gulf State Park. It's right on the beach, it has a full bar, and the food is fantastic. (We actually tried two other places first, but we didn't like the lines and crowds. We called ahead to Foodcraft and discovered there was no wait, which got our vote!) We got there just before 11 a.m., so we were able to order off the breakfast menu. I had a champagne cocktail, a mushroom/goat cheese omelette, and a cup of cheese grits. Service was prompt and friendly, and the food was delicious. We really enjoyed this restaurant and would return. It also made me curious/interested to stay at The Lodge itself.   

After lunch, it was back to the condo, back into our suits, and back to the beach! We spent another few hours swimming in the ocean, sunning ourselves, walking along the waves, and running through flocks of seagulls. (Yes. I did that.) Then, it was time to clean up, dress up, and head out for a fancy dinner!

Kelly had recommended Fisher's Upstairs, which is at the Orange Beach Marina. Neither Caron nor I had eaten there before, and we love trying new places. First of all, the decor in this restaurant is gorgeous. Imagine that you have a beautiful, rich friend whose family has a long history in the area. And she's invited you to have dinner at her beach house. That's what the inside of Fisher's Upstairs feels like. We had a reservation, so they seated us immediately. Then, it was on to culinary nirvana. 

We started with oysters and cocktails (as one does), then moved on to entrees. I chose the scallops, and they were a treat for both the eye and the tongue. Huge, caramelized on the outside, with a lovely roasted cauliflower on the side. Heaven. For dessert, we shared the lime cheesecake and the peanut butter pretzel chocolate chip ice cream. There was none left over. None. Of either of them. 

We headed back to the condo completely satisfied and turned in early. 

Day 4

Our last morning! We had to check out of the condo at 10 a.m., but that didn't stop us from one last sunrise-soaked beach walk. Then, it was pack/clean/load/drive. 

Since we left the area fairly early, we stopped in Mobile for a late breakfast. We found Spot of Tea online, and were lucky to be seated immediately at a charming outdoor table. I had a luscious benedict (on a croissant, no less, as I believe an English muffin is a very sad biscuit), with a big cup of coffee, and it hit the "spot"! This place was fairly busy on a Sunday morning, but I felt comfortable sitting outdoors, and the morning was lovely. 

Then, it was back home! I am so grateful for this little stolen weekend - grateful for friends, time to relax, a beautiful coast rolled out at my feet, busy little terns pecking at the sand, bikes and shells and cocktails and pralines. This secret time, with these ladies - it helped fill my cup back up. 

And NOW . . . we anticipate fall. ;-)


Comments