Making Merry, Part Two!

Twinkling lights in Canton, Mississippi


And the holiday happenings continue!

A Christmas Carol

This year, I made it priority to go to New Stage Theatre to see their annual production of A Christmas Carol. Like many, many public events, this performance was cancelled last year, and I was so glad to get back to this tradition! 


Two pretty ladies in Canton!



Our local theatre produces a familiar story using an original script, which tells the tale of Scrooge through the eyes of a group of street dwellers. This construct has the street dwellers popping in and out of the narrative to gain different experiences and perspectives, and I really enjoy it!

Canton Christmas Festival

Thus thoroughly Christmas Caroled (Heh.), I met up with some friends later that week to take in the lights in pretty little Canton, Mississippi. What a treat! Every year, this little town goes all-out in its historic square - lighting up nearly every surface; bringing in Santa, Mrs. Claus, Rudolph; serving hot cocoa; manning a little "train" ride around the city streets; and generally transforming into Christmastown USA. 

We had a great time taking in the lights and enjoying the night air, running into other friends, and generally feeling Christmasy. After we'd had our fill of holiday magic, we decamped to Two Rivers Restaurant and Cafe to sample from their excellent cocktail menu and get a bite to eat. I had the fried green tomato napoleon (a revelation), and others got salads, the excellent seafood chowder, and other nibbles. Delish!

Christmas at the Goodmans

Another tradition that fell by the wayside last year was our annual dinner with the Goodmans. These close friends were our back door neighbors for years as we grew up, and Mrs. Goodman kindly gets us all together at least once a year. 

We all tumbled into her house in Clinton, toting giant pecan pies, bottles of booze, and children. We stayed for hours, drinking her signature Christmas punch, eating ham, laughing, talking, and herding the stampede of small people. 


There's nothing like old friends!


Winner's Circle Park

Each year, local folks light up Winner's Circle Park. It's quite a job, as they deck the clock tower in addition to a lot of the trees, arbors, and other structures. They also bring in a grove of decorated Christmas trees and a lighted sleigh with reindeer. 

We got hot cocoas from Cups nearby, then met up with my sisters and their husbands and kids to walk, take in the lights, and play on the playground on a particularly mild night. The cousins all played amenably together, I got to catch some air on the swing set, and hubs and I got a little Christmasy smooching in! 


Love and lights at Winner's Circle Park!


Christmas Eve

By then, it was Christmas Eve! We enjoyed our customary big dinner at Dad's house. I brought the rib roast and a chocolate mousse cake, and Laura had sides, bread, and copious amounts of champagne. We ate until we were full, then opened presents. (The dress-up cape, Harry Potter accessories, and Thanos glove presents that I'd gotten for the kids seemed to go over really well!) 


Two Christmas cuties!



Then, we did our annual Christmas crackers, after which we took goofy pictures and sat around talking until we could bear to think of dessert. Children ran around merrily, boxed wine was also consumed, and a good time was had by all!

Christmas Day

After sleeping in and exchanging gifts with just our little immediate family, we had our traditional breakfast of mimosas, Sister Schubert rolls, and ham/sausage. Then, we were lazy! So lazy! 

I finally roused myself in the afternoon to go on a walk, after which I began making preparations at home. We hosted hubs' parents for dinner that night, with a ham, green beans almandine, whipped potatoes, and rolls. Before they'd arrived, I'd baked off some fresh cupcakes and assembled all of my decorating sugars and sprinkles. So we all got to frost cupcakes and decorate them as we liked before munching!

Once we'd finished eating, we played some of the fun quiz games I'd gotten for Christmas, and then it was Christmas cracker time again! (I love all of the punny jokes inside!) 

Aaaalll of this to say - I really missed my Christmas traditions last year. So this year, fully vaccinated and boostered, I decided to lean into the season. And. I. Loved. It! So much wonderful Christmas. So many happy memories! I hope you had a warm, merry season, too! 

And now, as I contemplate January, I will definitely be ready for some quiet reflection. ;-)


We wish you a Merry Christmas!



Comments