Lone Star Adventures

Spring has arrived at the Dallas Arboretum! 


For the past year, I've been visiting Texas periodically for an ongoing leadership class. Though I'm typically only in town for a couple of days, I've tried to work in some fun here and there. Last week, I took what will be my last business trip to the Dallas area in a while (as I've now completed the curricula), and I decided to stay over through the weekend and see what kind of trouble I could cook up. 

Day 1

After flying in the day before my morning meetings, I started my adventures at the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden. When April arrives, my thoughts turn to spring. And nothing makes me feel the turn of the season in my soul like piles and piles of flowers. I had a perfect day for it - sunny, breezy, and not too hot. And the gardens were an explosion of color! Thousands and thousands and thousands of blooming tulips, flowering trees, azaleas, and wisteria. The fountains were playing, and the garden's "Birds of Paradise" installation was a wonderful addition to the attraction. 


I took my time strolling the paths and exploring, encountering many Dallas-area mamas propping their little ones in front of colorful blossoms for spring photos. (So sweet!) From parts of the grounds, visitors can also take in pretty views of White Rock Lake. There are plenty of guest services in the gardens, too, from restrooms to food vendors, so it's easy to remain comfortable. 

That night, I met up with some of my classmates for dinner at The Ranch in Las Colinas. This place is HUGE, and so are the portions! I got a cocktail (the Front Porch Swing - delicious), and then ordered the ribs, which came with a goodly portion of macaroni and cheese as well as some green beans so I could pretend I was being at least a little healthy. So, so, so good. One of my friends got the fried chicken and let me steal a little, and it was also reeeeally yummy. 

Then, it was back to the hotel for the night. 

Day 2

The next two days were another great time for learning and networking. (I frankly am sad to see the class come to an end! I've come to love many of my fellow students, and I've had such fun learning with them!) At the close of the program, I was left to my own devices for Thursday night, all day Friday and Saturday, and a good chunk of Sunday. 


View from The Sky Apartment


Day 3

Starting Thursday evening, I'd rented a car, so I first headed to Avis to pick it up. Then, it was on to what I'd soon dub "The Sky Apartment," a lovely one-bedroom AirBnb I'd rented for the rest of my stay in the area. The rental came with a secure parking space in the building's garage, so I parked, let myself in, and unpacked a bit. This was a great rental - well-located, convenient to tons of restaurants as well as the art district, fantastic city views, roomy, and comfortable. 


Delicious dinner at Partenope


My tummy rumbling, I hunted up dinner at the nearby Partenope, a bustling Italian place. Ahhhh, bliss! When you are just a solo diner, they can seat you nearly anywhere, so you almost never wait. They snugged me into a two-top, I ordered a glass of red, and we were off. I chose the penne di parmigiana e funghi, and it was fantastic - penne with parmesan cream, mushrooms, and pistachios. (You wouldn't think that the pistachios would be good on this dish, but they are inspired. Order with confidence!) Then, to finish, I chose the zeppole, little balls of fried, sugared dough with a dipping sauce. I couldn't finish all of them, but I loved the ones I did eat! 

I paid my tab, walked back to my apartment, and enjoyed the city views a bit before turning in for the night. 

Day 4

On Friday morning, I awoke to a bright, breezy day in Dallas. I started with a bit of a walking tour over to the AT&T Discovery District. I'd zoomed past this area on my Segway tour the last time I'd been in the area, and I was curious to explore it further. It's a beautiful public space with fountains, performance areas, outdoor art, and dining options. After admiring the tall, golden "Spirit of Communications" statue and the AT&T "globe," I ducked into the food hall there for a bit of breakfast at Rise + Thyme. This little place was perfect. I ordered at the counter, and pretty soon I was digging into a delicious salmon bagel and a big latte. I almost wished I'd be back at the food hall for lunch, as there were tons of great-looking options there! 

Next up, I made my way on foot to the Nasher Sculpture Center. I'd been trying to get by there on previous trips to the city, but the schedule had never properly aligned. On this gorgeous morning, though, I was in luck! I slipped right in! They have an interesting exhibit by Harry Bertoia on display right now, and I loved his industrial takes inspired by nature - trees, clouds, dandelions, etc. - all depicted at various scale in different metals. I was also fortunate to get there in time for a demonstration of one of his "sounding sculptures," which can be played almost like a large-scale instrument to create the most enveloping sounds. 


Garden at the Nasher Sculpture Center


After enjoying all of the treasures inside the museum, I made time to explore the sculpture garden behind the facility. It's a perfect little pocket of green, dotted with bronzes and other art. I particularly loved My Curves are Not Mad by Richard Sera. You could walk within it, getting interesting views of the tree-laced sky above and the way shards of light entered the piece.   

After a busy morning, I stopped back by the rental to rest and regroup before my next adventure. I was taking a flying trapeze class! I know, I know. I am an old lady and have no business doing such a thing. But this is something I *can't* do in my hometown, because we don't have a facility for it. And you know how I love doing things during my travels that I can't do at home, right? 


Swinging is a rush! 


So that's how I ended up at the Dallas Circus Center for a two-hour beginner flying trapeze class that afternoon. I'd dressed just as they'd instructed - athletic clothes that covered my legs. I stretched. They strapped a safety belt tightly around my waist. Then, I began to look around and notice that the class was me and about four 10-year-olds. 

This had the potential to be . . . interesting. 

Before I could get too nervous, though, some more grown folks showed up: a couple of teenaged girls, a college couple, and one older man. I still think I was the oldest student there, but at least I wasn't the only adult. Heh.

The sweet trainers began walking all of the beginners through what we'd learn today - how to swing and fall, how to hang and swing from our knees, how to backflip off the bar, etc. I was sitting there thinking it would be a miracle if I could just swing and fall (Gotta manage my own expectations.), but I was willing to give it a try. 

When you fly here, you're always tethered, so you have both the tether and the net protecting you. Still, the moment before you jump off the (pretty high) platform to swing is still an apprehensive one. But once you *do* jump, it's bliss! On my first swing, I gasped in delight. They let you do a few revolutions, and then you practice how to fall off the bar and into the net, then get down from the net safely to the floor. 


All of those leg raises in the ab chair
at the gym paid off!

Next up, they wanted you to try to get your knees over the bar. It took me a couple of tries to get it right. The key really was to listen very closely to the trainer on the ground. There's a brief moment at the top of your swing when you are temporarily weightless. That's the moment you have to act, and quickly. If you misjudge the timing, it's harder to get your legs up and over the bar. The trainer gave us a vocal cue to let us know when to move. This was really fun!

Next up, they wanted us to learn how to backflip off the bar and into the net. By this time, I was already feeling like I'd won the day, but I agreed to try. I got this one on my first go! It wasn't as hard as it looked. 

This was an INSANELY fun activity, and I really wish we had a circus center in my area! 

After class, I was starving. On the advice of a local friend, I drove to nearby Uncle Julio's for fantastic carne asada fajitas and a big pineapple margarita. Dinner was earned! The food was great here, I easily found a parking space, and the service was fun and knowledgeable about the menu. 

After dinner, I was pooped! I headed back to The Sky Apartment, showered, and slept well!

More to come . . . 


I don't know about "the greatest of ease," but it sure was fun! 



Comments