Out and About

Happy birthday, Daddy! 


Over the past few weeks, I've had the pleasure of knocking around a bit closer to home - both for short trips and for some parties. To catch up:  

Parties and Get Togethers! 

As is my custom, I hosted my extended family for Easter Sunday, and it was a delight! We all dressed in springy colors, I served a metric ton of food, and we got to enjoy one another's company. I bought nearly everything we ate at Costco this year - the ham, the rolls, the giant carrot cupcakes. We served a generous crudite platter to start while the ham cooked, and it made things so easy for me to just heat up and/or finish up the food. I laid a spring table (pink!), and we drank rose and took family photos together out on the lawn. My sweet Daddy has an April birthday, so we put a candle in his cupcake, sang happy birthday to him, and let him make a wish!


Good vibes only at Caftans and Cocktails!


My friend Kelly also hosted a group of us at her house for "Caftans and Cocktails," which is a GENIUS idea. Naturally, I arrived in a caftan, and Kelly had leaned into the theme with tons of 60s/70s menu items like Watergate Salad, throwback dips, Rice Krispie treats, plus standbys like cheese straws. It was a hoot! (And seriously, y'all, have you WORN a caftan lately? I bought two so I could choose the right one for this party, and I have been wearing them around the house ALL OF THE TIME ever since. They are supremely comfortable and fantastic in the hot weather. Get you a caftan, ladies!) 

My friend Caron and I met up at The District recently for one of their District Thursdays - live music and specialty cocktails in the green space. It was an absolutely gorgeous night for it, and I can't stand to be inside if the weather is that good! We noshed on the patio at Sal and Mookie's (fried calamari, sneaky lemonades, and salads), took in the show, window shopped, and caught up. 


On the Road!

I spent one night in New Orleans on business recently, too. I'm glad to tell you that the Ace Hotel is still a great place to stay, with a fun, funky vibe and fully-stocked, retro refrigerators in each room. I also still love the view from their rooftop bar! Oh, and we tried a new restaurant this time - Gianna. Delicious Italian food, a fun cocktail menu (I had the sweet, summery fragola brezza.), and attentive service. Three of us split the chopped salad appetizer (and there was plenty to share), then I had the pillowy ricotta gnocchi. Delish! And the space is beautiful, too!


Van Gogh all around me at the immersive exhibit in New Orleans


While I was in town, I also had the chance to check out yet another immersive art exhibit - this one featuring Van Gogh. You may recall that I saw my first version of an exhibit like this back in Paris in 2019, also featuring the work of Van Gogh. As I've learned, new versions of this exhibit, as well as similar treatments for the work of other artists, have been touring worldwide, and another immersive Van Gogh exhibit is currently on offer in New Orleans. I slipped in as one of the very last guests of the evening (The exhibit was directly across the street from my hotel.) to enjoy the show. While the space is smaller than the one I initially experienced back in 2019, the exhibit is still very moving. There's something calming about just sitting there and letting the images and music and sounds wash over you. 

I finished up my business meeting the following day, and then scurried back home. 

Tiny worlds at the Hattiesburg Pocket Museum



Just like last year, I participated in the annual Farm to Fork Ride or Run, held in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The race benefits Extra Table, which works to feed hungry Mississippians. That alone would be a good enough reason to sign up, but the event is a TON of fun! Think comedians heckling you (good-naturedly) along the route, drink and snack stations everywhere, people dressed up as chickens to let you know it's time to turn around, and an after party full of live music, axe-throwing, tons of food, a mechanical bull, and vodka. 

I mean, I'm not much of an athlete, but these are my people. 

My friend Shawn and I drove down the night before so we'd be ready to go in the morning, and we had the chance to eat dinner at the lovely Patio 44, where I had a pretty cocktail, a medium-rare steak, and a pile of broccoli. The patio *is* very pleasant here, and the food was yummy and reasonably priced. As we were leaving, they even had a musician or two setting up! Recommended.  

Then, we had the rest of the evening free. We started out by exploring the Hattiesburg Pocket Museum (and if you don't know it's there, you just might miss it). Basically, it first just seems like a normal alley, maybe with a bit a public art. But then you look closer. And closer. And a whole little world opens up. Tons of tiny vignettes in all kinds of unexpected places - a forest in a a pipe, a diminutive business meeting happening on top of a electrical meter, murals on the ground that play with perspective and depth. You will love this place. The more you look, the more you see! And it's completely free!


Live at Five!




Next up was Live at Five, another great free event. On Friday nights in the spring, it seems like everyone in Hattiesburg comes out to Town Square Park for a giant block party. There's live music, tons of food trucks, arts/crafts vendors, and just a generally laid-back, friendly vibe. We got a rainbow snow-cone (remarkably creamy - maybe it's how the ice is shaved?), found a space on the grass, and took it all in for a while. Then, it was back to the hotel to rest up for the race!

The next day, we arrived at the starting area, collected our packets, and had a fun time doing the 5K. The route follows the lovely Longleaf Trace, and it's a beautiful place to be. (We successfully heckled the hecklers, ate donuts on the route, ran through soap bubbles, and hugged the inflatable chicken.) Then, it was time for the after-party! There was plenty of yummy food - sausage, pulled pork sliders, birthday cake, etc. - and a Cathead Vodka rehydration station. I even rode the mechanical bull! 

Before leaving town, we stopped by to browse at The Lucky Rabbit, which is one of the coolest, funkiest junk joints I've ever been to. They have a recreation of the Schitt's Creek set inside, and they were playing E.T. in their makeshift indoor movie theatre. 

A fun weekend all around!    


Live Performances!

Waaaay back in October, I had tickets to see Jason Isbell perform at the Brandon Ampitheatre. I really like his lyrics, and he's a fantastic follow on Twitter. I just enjoy the songs that come out of his brain. 

At the time, he was asking venues to require masks and/or vaccinations at his performances. The venue refused, so he canceled that performance and rescheduled it for Memphis. Sad face. 

But then, he scheduled a late April performance for Thalia Mara Hall in Jackson. Whoop! My friend Juniper and I got tickets, met to inhale margaritas and queso at Iron Horse Grill (a Jackson landmark, and they have music there, too!) beforehand, and settled into our seats! 


Thank you, Jason Isbell, for a fantastic performance!


Oh, y'all. He played all of my favorites - Alabama Pines. Elephant. If We Were Vampires. Cover Me Up. It was just a great, great night. And the crowd was totally there for it. In a bit of serendipity, my sweet cousin Katie sat in front of us with her husband and daughter! So good to see her and catch up a bit!

So that's been me for the past few weeks. Whew! It's been a whirlwind, but a fun one! On to the next adventure!


Did I ride the mechanical bull? You bet I did.




Comments