Hikers Gonna Hike

Sunrise in Holly Springs National Forest


I have long taken to hikes while on vacation. And since getting back to exercising regularly in 2019, I've done it a lot more. And though at home, I tend to stick with my trusty 3-mile loop near the house (You start and end at a boat slip with great views of the reservoir), I've decided lately that I'm going to branch out and try to hike more of Mississippi. 

Two years ago, I did a couple of great hikes on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and Shawn and I also did Mule Jail Trail closer to home. Recently, I learned that a newer trail had opened up in Brandon - the Brandon Quarry Trails. Over Memorial Day Weekend, I suited up early one morning and headed out. 


One of the sweet little ponds at Brandon Quarry Trails


The trailhead is easy to find if you navigate from AllTrails. There's ample parking, too. Though there's no real "loop" to follow, as so many of the trails criss cross and fold back in on one another, I followed the loop marked in AllTrails to get in the longest hike I could. This loop takes you down some slag gravel, onto some mountain biking trails (which offer rare elevation for central Mississippi), and across a sketchy bridge through an old, overgrown area. (This little part of the trail looked like it might have been gorgeous once - benches, a gazebo, etc. But now it's pretty grown up and run down. The trail also features a few pretty little ponds. 


On the trail in Brandon



This trail is in town, and so you're looping in and behind buildings and other facilities. Still, it's a great, close place to get some exercise and fresh air. 

My second Mississippi hiking adventure came when we went to Oxford for a wedding. Looking for something close and quick, I happened across the North Cypress Non-Motorized Trail, in Holly Springs National Forest. Perfect! 

If you follow the route marked on AllTrails, you'll get a little over 3 miles of good elevation, gorgeous forests, wildflowers, tons of birds (I heard woodpeckers on the whole route!), and wild blackberries, in addition to sweet little North Cypress Lake! There's one short stretch of trail (through a meadow area) that's pretty overgrown (tall grass - watch for snakes), but the rest of it is pretty clear, and it's well-marked. 

Like Brandon Quarry Trails, there are a lot of ways you can go once you get out there, so I recommend using the AllTrails map to stay on a solid loop and avoid getting turned around. The lake was a bit low the morning I went, but it was still beautiful. There's no road noise on the trail, and you really feel like you've gotten "away." Still and all, I had cell service on the whole trail, and it's not very far out of town, so it's quick to get to. There's also a vault restroom at the trailhead. 

Next up, I'll be hiking on vacation out of state again. But for fall, I'm already planning some more Mississippi hikes! See you on the trail!


Trees, water and sky in Oxford


Comments