Weekend of Rock

I recently got the chance to hug sweet Sandy! It had been too long!

It's been a few years since I spent some time in Little Rock, but last weekend, I had a really good reason. Sandy, a dear friend and former co-worker, had recently completed her chemotherapy and radiation for breast cancer. She'd let me know that she was feeling fine and would love a visit. In addition, I have several other friends in the area that I hadn't seen in ages, so off I went for a weekend of fun!

Day 1

Communing with leafy 
giants at Sky Lake


The route from Jackson, Mississippi, to Little Rock, Arkansas, takes you through the rural Delta. It's a
beautiful place, full of fields of corn, crop dusters twirling in the sky, and country roads. On my way, I made a quick stop in Belzoni, Mississippi, to stretch my legs at Sky Lake. This pocket of peace features a wooden boardwalk, built about 12 feet above the forest floor, that winds visitors through a gorgeous grove of huge bald cypress trees. During wetter months, the floor of the forest is covered with water, and it's open for paddlers to navigate. However, on the summer day I went, the forest floor was dry.

It's a short, lovely stroll, with informational placards explaining the characteristics of the old-growth trees. There's plenty of parking, some public bathrooms, and a picnic area at the trailhead. I loved this quick stop. A perfect place to take a break, breathe a little, and see something unique in Mississippi.

Then, it was on to Little Rock! I had planned to meet sweet Sandy for lunch at 42 Bar and Table, the restaurant at the Clinton Presidential Library, at 12:30 p.m. However, there had been a self-made crisis at work. I'd ended up on conference calls most of the way from Belzoni to Little Rock, and my call that was to end at 12:30 p.m. didn't end until 1 p.m. (And then there was a call after the call. You know how it is.) 

So poor Sandy had to eat her sandwich largely alone, shaking her head at the craziness that is the place she also once worked, while I tried to put out fires. At least she understood. 

As for Sandy herself, she looked great! She had good stamina, too, and had already planned some activities for us after lunch. First, she took me to the Vogel Schwartz Sculpture Garden. This lovely, free attraction features more than 90 pieces of interesting, thought-provoking outdoor art. Just as the two of us were really sinking in and enjoying the art, I was summoned to another 1-hour conference call. Sandy, with the patience of Job, sat with me in the garden while I took it. 


The Old Mill is as pretty as a picture.

Next up, we stopped by the Old Mill, which I'd never been to before. What a lovely place! The site features a re-creation of an 1880's grist mill, and shots of the structure appear in the movie Gone with the Wind. The whole area is beautifully landscaped with plantings, stone bridges, and water features. As you can imagine, it's a popular spot for photos! We walked all around the gardens, poked our way through the mill, and enjoyed the fine afternoon. 


Dinner and drinks at Cantina Laredo



Then, we headed to Cantina Laredo to meet up with two other friends in the area - David and Brandi. (Somewhere around this time, I made the decision to put my phone down, work texts notwithstanding. A good choice.) We had such fun! The restaurant's margarita menu is extensive, and I had a delicious watermelon version. Then, we dug into chips, queso, and grilled fish tacos. Yum! I learned all kinds of new things about my buds through good dinner conversation.  

After a really fun dinner, Sandy and I popped next door to shop a bit at Versona, where we found GORGEOUS scarves on sale for nearly nothing, as well as cute jewelry! Lastly, she let me take her Tesla for a spin! She's had it for about a year now, and this car is beautiful. It was cool to see how smooth and quiet it drove, and how the car stops nearly the second you take your foot off the pedal. An impressive machine! 

After hugs and goodbyes, I got back in my car and navigated to the cute AirBnb I'd booked for the weekend. What a sweet rental! It was perfectly located and very roomy. I'd booked it because I prefer homes over hotel rooms, and also because the host had a good free cancellation policy. (During hurricane season, I never know when I'll have to make a last-minute cancellation of my travel plans.) 

I settled in, handled a bit more work (You know I'd brought my work computer.), and then hit the hay. 

Day 2

The art of the purse at the Esse Purse Museum



I'd had big plans to get up early and hike Pinnacle Mountain this morning, but work beckoned yet again.
Instead, I spent the morning on the computer, then ventured out for a very late breakfast - a delicious latte and a cheese and herb biscuit at cute little Mylo Coffe Company. This place was PACKED on a Saturday morning, and I was really glad I was just a single. That meant I could slide onto a barstool to enjoy my meal. 

By the time I'd finished, the Esse Purse Museum was opening up. I'd been trying to get by this place for a bit of exploring FOR YEARS, but the stars had never aligned. This was the day! I went in and spent the next couple of hours lost in the wonderful world of handbags! The museum features rotating exhibits from the personal handbag collection of just one woman, and she is obviously a lady after my own heart! 

The bags are organized by decade, so you can see the evolution of women's lives, needs, and fashion. The display cases also include some of the ephemera of women's lives - compacts, lipstick cases, gloves, hats, etc. There are also cases that focus on specific types of bags - glittery evening bags, travel bags, a special room full of straw bags, etc. It's just a wonderful, unique little place that puts a narrow lens on what bags - the thing women carry everywhere - tell us about women's place in society at that moment.


I loved this whimsical straw purse shaped like a frog!


After perusing the exhibits, I stopped in the museum store, which is a complete delight. Tons of gorgeous bags, scarves, accessories, and other goodies. This place is a gem!

By this time, it was well after lunch. However, I'd had a rather late breakfast, and I had dinner plans with a friend, so I didn't want to fill up too much. I decided an adequate compromise was to walk the scant two blocks to Loblolly Creamery and have ice cream for lunch. (What? I'm a grown up. I can have ice cream for lunch if I want to!) This little confection of a shop has lots of varieties, and I chose a decadent waffle cone of Arkansas Mud, which is reminiscent of Rocky Road. Delicious! 


Ice cream for lunch?
Don't mind if I do!


Next up, I made a quick stop by Rock Town Distillery to pick up some gifts for friends back home. I first discovered this place (and their amazing peach moonshine, which is the perfect addition to summer lemonade) several years ago, and either I or people I know have been in the business of running their hooch back to Mississippi ever since! If I'd timed it better, I might have also been able to do a tour/tasting, but alas, I'd not planned ahead sufficiently, so I moved on. 

I went back to my rental a bit to rest and freshen up, and then I met another sweet friend, Kerri, for dinner at Bruno's in downtown Little Rock. What a great place! We started with glasses of red wine and a dish of fried ravioli. Then, I moved on to the wonderful veal piccata. We split the decadent chocolate torte for dessert. The food was wonderful here, and the service was speedy and friendly. But most of all, it was a joy catching up with Kerri. The two of us are very similar - a little loud, a little wacky, big personalities. It had been a while since we'd connected, and we had such fun! When dinner was over, we didn't want it to end, so I came back to her house, we poured ourselves some more drinks, and we sat out by the pool to talk more. I met her husband, her sweet son, and her dogs, too! 

Then, it was back to the AirBnb and to bed!

Day 3

Oh, friends. On Day 3, I was *supposed* to spend the day in Hot Springs, and I had so many wonderful plans. Do you think I got to do that? No. I did not. 

I DID wake up very early and head for Pinnacle Mountain. If I was going to hike the West Summit Trail, I knew I had to do it very early, before it got hot and before everyone I work with woke up and started emailing, calling, and texting me. (Lawd.)


About halfway to the top of Pinnacle Mountain . . . 

So, by 6:20 a.m., I was pulling into the trailhead parking lot. This is a popular trail, and there were already several cars there. I applied bug spray, and off I went! 

This trail is short (1.5 miles, out and back), but the elevation is steep (about 725 feet), and a good portion of the trail is challenging rock scramble. The trail is very well marked, and there are a few benches along the way if you need to sit down and catch your breath. Unfortunately, I'd driven off from Jackson without my hiking boots. I made-do with good trainers, but having ankle support and good grip shoes would have made this short trek a bit easier. 


Glorious mountain views of the river 


Just before 7 a.m., I made the summit, and it was GLORIOUS up there! You have panoramic views of the river and the surrounding area, and there are two sides from which to appreciate the vistas. The sun was still low/rising, and the breeze was terrific! It felt great to be at the top! 

After enjoying that rare air a while, I high-tailed it back to my car. The rock scrambles are just as difficult going down as they are coming up, because you have to think about where to go next and be careful about how to place your feet. The general incline/step part of the trail, though, is much easier on the way back than it is on the way out, so you'll cover that part a little bit quicker coming down the mountain. Bring plenty of water, especially on a warm/hot day!


Lattes at Boulevard Bread Company



I figured I had about half an hour before my work colleagues got cranked up, so I swung by Boulevard Bread Company for a delicious breakfast. Their Sunday brunch menu is fantastic! Since it was still early, I was seated immediately, tucking into a tasty latte and some filling Eggs Benedict. After fully enjoying my meal, it was back to the rental . . . and work. I worked pretty steadily until about 1 p.m., when another local friend, Kacee, started texting me to check on me. 

When Kacee learned I'd been holed up most of the day on my computer, she swung into action! She showed up, pecked on my door, and rescued me. Off we went for a late lunch at Count Porkula (and OMG I love the named of this place), a great local BBQ joint. We dished over plates of pulled pork, which they served with delicious sauce. I also had macaroni and cheese and collard greens. (I ashamedly admit that I took a couple of work calls over lunch. Kacee was very patient with me.) 

After lunch, Kacee drove me around to see some sights, including the Big Dam Bridge (which is now on my list for my next trip to Little Rock). Then, she bundled me up and took me over to her house, where we changed into our bathing suits, filled flutes up with Prosecco cocktails, and floated in her pool. Ah, bliss! It was so relaxing and just what I needed! I was very grateful to have been saved! 


Kacee to the rescue!


After letting a few on the knots in my shoulders and back untie in the cool water, Kacee dropped me back off at my rental. I did a bit more work that night, but I was able to go to bed at a perfectly reasonable time. 

Day 4

Then next morning, I checked out of my rental, drove into a local office to take a few more conference calls, then had a great lunch at Big Orange Burger (Their half and half burger is fantastic, as well as their sweet potato fries!) before heading back to Jackson (taking calls nearly the whole time I was on the road). 

Despite work strong-arming its way into every day of my weekend away, I did enjoy seeing so many friends and colleagues in Little Rock. And I also got to try some new things that I'd never had the chance to experience before, so not a total wash! Maybe next time, I can do a better job of setting boundaries. We shall see! 


Sometimes, you have to put your shoes on and walk away from it all!


 


Comments