Spooky season!

The Mississippi River, as seen from Vue Orleans



During the month of October, I had plans to be in New Orleans on business. Frankly, I couldn't resist the spookiness of it all, so I went down a bit early on my own dime to spend a haunted weekend in town. 

Day 1

Zinnias in bloom at Coastal
Ridge Farm!


 
I left the Jackson area early on Saturday morning because I had an out-of-the-way stop to make on my way down. I'd been wanting to visit the Coastal Ridge Farm FOREVER, but it's not really on the way to anything. You have to be purposefully going there to get to it. You pay $15 cash at the gate to get in, admire the flowers, take tons of photos, and cut gallons of flowers to take home. 

Even late in the season, the fields were lovely! I caught the tail end of the sunflowers, and the zinnias were blossoming everywhere! They have a couple of portalets out there in case you need facilities, but it's basically you and fields and fields of flowers. So beautiful. It was early and a gorgeous day, so it was pleasant to stroll and admire the views. Tons of butterflies, bees, and birds. If I lived close by, I'd be going to harvest flowers on the regular!

Then, it was back into the car and off to the city. I checked into my hotel, and after a short break, I did some walking around town. I poked my head in at Boutique du Vampyre and Bottom of the Cup Tea Room, just for the Halloween of it all. And I found a very special voodoo doll at Voodoo Authentica, which was one of my favorite shops of the trip! 


Voodoo Authentica 
is a whole mood.



After a quick rest at the hotel, I changed clothes and headed to Oktoberfest NOLA. I love any excuse to dress up, so I'd ordered a quick dirndl online just for the occasion, and it was so cute! I Ubered over to the festival, paid my admission, and set about having a fantastic time. I munched on a German cheese/charcuterie plate, washed down with a lovely glass of German wine. Then, I scoped out the merchandise (Steins! Flower crowns! Literature!) in the on-site shop. They had a hilarious band, The Brats, that played classic rock in a polka style, and they were a hoot! A giant chicken mascot roamed the grounds for photos (and the chicken dance), and we all cheered on the participants of the Masskrugstemmen - the beer stein holding contest. This festival was so much fun! Everyone was eating, drinking, dancing and enjoying themselves. I'd recommend it to anyone!

I slept like a LOG that night! 

Day 2

The next morning, I took my time on my way to Couvant (in the beautiful Eliza Jane Hotel) for brunch. They have a lovely brunch service, but make reservations, as this place is popular. I was seated promptly, and my server was AMAZING. He took such good care of me - checking in without crowding. Trying to get some veggies in early, I ordered the mushroom omelet with a side salad and some wheat toast. Perfection, and very filling. That and a good cup of coffee, and you're well on your way to an excellent day!   


The tech is real at Vue Orleans.


After brunch, it was off to Vue Orleans. I'd never been to this attraction, and it only just opened in the spring. What a find! It's probably one of the most high-tech exhibits I've ever been to. Imagine screens that you interact with by moving your arms to control what happens next. You're presented with these huge panels, and you can draw up videos of characters from New Orleans history who explain the city's evolution and culture. You can also pick out elements from larger screens and expand them to learn more about a particular topic. And it's all touchless. (It's like a tourist version of Minority Report!) 


The Death and Mourning Tour at 
Gallier House was fascinating.




There's a great little mock cafe where you can learn how to make classic New Orleans recipes, a cool music room, and a really well done video about the city's history. And then - the headliner. You ascend to the top floor to walk around an open-air deck with expansive views of the city and the Mississippi River. I loved this attraction! It's extremely engaging and well done. 

After my time at Vue Orleans, I was off to the historic Gallier House. This gorgeous property was offering a special Creole Death and Mourning Tour in honor of the spooky season, and I couldn't resist! The home was built in 1861 by architect James Gallier Jr. as his own family home. The Victorian French Quarter townhouse was staged as though it were in mourning, with a coffin in the sitting room, a black wreath on the door, and many of the other features (draped windows, black-trimmed handkerchiefs and bedding, etc.) that would have accompanied the mourning period of the era. 

I learned so much on this tour, and our guide was so knowledgable and ready to answer our questions. 

After this tour, I met up with friends for a drink and a snack at Bar Marilou. So cute! We popped inside just as the bottom fell out of the sky, and we were seated quickly because my friends had made reservations! Snacks and drinks were wonderful, and the atmosphere here is intimate and plush. 

After chatting a bit, I was off to dinner at a place that has been on my list for a while - Gris Gris. It's a bit out of the way, but the food and the service are worth the trek. I got a sunlit table on their balcony and tucked into shrimp and grits with a chilled glass of chenin blanc. I *had to* finish the meal off with their excellent peach cobbler a la mode! (It comes in a darling individual-sized cast iron gratin dish.) So good!

 

If you're looking for a REAL haunted house, The Mortuary is just the ticket.


I had one last stop to make for the night - The Mortuary. It had been AGES since I'd been to a haunted house, and this was definitely the one to go to! The attraction is housed in a 150-year-old building that has served as an actual funeral parlor and crematorium. (It's surrounded by historic cemeteries.) The structure is three stories, and the experience takes roughly 25 minutes to make your way through. 


Did someone say cobbler? I found this beauty at Gris Gris. 

The production values here are just amazing. Scores of costumed, made-up actors (and some of the makeup is shockingly good); really intricate sets and set pieces; sound effects; animatronic jump scares; just a ton of cues for all of these technicians and actors to get right. I cannot believe the amount of work that must have gone into this haunted house. (And I'd imagine that, with the building being historic, most of the MANY walls/rooms that participants wind through have to be false and completely removable so as not to harm the structure. Just amazing, amazing work here.) 

After that, it was off to bed! 

Day 3

The next two days were full of meetings with colleagues, but I did make it to one more new (to me) attraction before I left town: Sazerac House. What a cool place! The Sazerac House is owned and operated by American Sazerac, which is the home of some 450 different liquor brands (Buffalo Trace, Wheatley, Southern Comfort, Early Times, Fireball, Meyers, Old Charter - you get the idea). The company is one of the largest spirits companies in the United States, and it has a 400-year history rooted in the French cognac business. 


I highly recommend the free tour at
The Sazerac House!



American Sazerac has sunk some $55 million into this attraction, and the place is a wonder. Tours are free to reserve (online) for guests 21 and older. Arrive at your scheduled tour time, check in (You get a little bracelet ID.), and then head up to the third floor to start your tour. 

Guests learn all about early New Orleans coffee and cafe culture, bitters (and their original medicinal purposes), and the birth of the Sazerac cocktail. The tour routes you through how Prohibition went over in New Orleans (spoiler alert: not too good) and lets you belly-up to a virtual bar where a televised bartender shows you how to make the drink of your choice! 

Throughout the attraction, you can enjoy small tastes of various cocktails and spirits. They also have recipe cards throughout, so you can recreate the drinks you tasted. 

Visitors end their tour at a small distillery on the first floor, where they can see spirits being made. Then, you can explore their excellent gift shop, where they sell American Sazaerac merchandise, bar tools, and a full line of spirits. (Bring your wallet! We found all kinds of goodies!) 

My whole group so enjoyed this tour, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in spirits, history in general, and the history of New Orleans in particular. A wonderful experience. 

I so enjoyed my weekend in NOLA! Until next time! 





Comments