I'm a changed woman!

Get off your tukkus right now and call the Millsaps Players. You have to, if you want to see Metamorphoses, which is playing tonight and Sunday; they are having to turn people away at the door because the demand for seats far outstrips the supply. (The show is presented thrust-style, with all the chairs and risers on stage around the set. This naturally limits seating. RESERVE your tickets, because they are in short supply at the door.)

I went to see this production last night, and I am SO glad I did. The script, written by Mary Zimmerman, is based on the ancient myths of Ovid. Directed at Millsaps by Sam Sparks, this show features a large cast of very capable student actors. Water plays a central role in this production, and the scenic construction crew for the show built a shallow pool in the center of the stage. The pool is used in almost every scene.

The cast of 16 did an admirable job portraying all of the characters we know from the ancient myths. Fred Willis, a sophomore who I loved in last season in The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail, was a standout as Silenus (a follower of Bacchus) and Vertumnus, God of Springtime. (WHY is Fred Willis so good? I'm not quite sure I know. Although I don't know him personally, I think it is because he is a good-natured person in real life, and this translates into his roles on stage. I always find my self laughing WITH him, not laughing AT him. In other words, I always know that Fred himself is in on the joke. He has a remarkable, accessible, approachable quality.)

Alex Bosworth was, as always, wonderful in her role as Myrrha, the daughter of a king cursed by Aprhodite to love her own father. She also displayed some deft movement work as Hunger and as one of Posiedon's aides. If she decides to pursue acting as a career, I think she could go far.

John Forrest Douglas was hilarious as Phaeton, son of Apollo. He played the "spoiled son of a major god" role to the hilt, and his use of sunglasses, sunscreen, and a beach float didn't hurt the humor. He was a hit with the audience. I also noticed David Lind, a freshman from San Antonio, in this production. Lind also cunningly found the humor in his dialogue, and he ended up being one of the most entertaining performers on stage in his turns as Midas' Servant and Philemon. I'm going to keep my eye on him; I think we can expect more great performances from this young actor.

Director Sam Sparks did a brave thing, choosing to direct this show. The script itself has a very presentational style, and it runs the risk of being quite dry. However, through his innovative vision of costume, humor, and lighting (kudos to Brent Lefavor, Lighting Designer, and Kacee Foote Phillips, Costumer) the show remains engaging and interesting throughout. (The story of Psyche and Eros is particularly beautiful. Light and costume make such a moving statement here; It's one of the visual images of the show that I will carry with me.) I continue to be impressed with Sparks' talent.

Ok, and lastly - why this show ranks as a must-see for me: Metamophoses is unlike any show you will see in Jackson's theatre market. Because the Millsaps Players are a college company, whose primary objective is to educate their student actors/technicians and expose them to different types of theatre, they are not at the mercy of ticket sales as much as other companies in the metro area. In other words, the bulk of their funding comes from other sources, so if you don't buy a ticket, they won't go under. What that introduces is a level of risk that other theatres, dependent on ticket sales, rarely achieve in this market. So, go already. It will be something new, fresh, and different, born of young minds and experienced hands. In addition, the production is well done and gorgeous to look at.

Tickets are $10 general admission and $8 for students and seniors. You must RESERVE your tickets. Call 974-1321 to do so, and pray that there are still some left in the show's limited run. Remaining shows are today, October 22, at 7:30 p.m., and tomorrow, October 23, at 2:00 p.m. You can check out the entire season of the Millsaps Players by visiting their web site.

Comments