Trip report, continued - Sedona

After Phoenix, we headed up to Sedona. We decided to take scenic route 89A, which has been voted by Arizonans to be one of the most beautiful drives in the state. We made a beeline from Phoenix to Prescott, where we stopped for lunch and ambled in the idyllic town square. From there, we headed to Sedona.

YIKES. While route 89A is certainly scenic, it can be a bit harrowing for a Mississippi boy and girl who are used to driving on nice, flat, straight roads. The route basically takes drivers up and down mountains, with sharp curves, no notice of oncoming traffic, and precious little between the wheels of the car and a sheer drop-off into a depp, deep abyss!! We kept seeing signs that said things like "Watch for Rocks." We had plenty of time to enjoy the scenery, as we drove about 20 miles per hour while fervently muttering Hail Marys. (Needless to say, we stopped at EVERY scenic lookout point. We needed every chance to calm our nerves!) I could not BELIEVE it when we drove through Jerome. Who would build their house perched on a cliff like that?! I do not know how those brave souls manage to sleep at night!

Anyway, we finally made it to Sedona (sigh.), where we checked into Los Abrigados Resort and Spa. This was a wonderful resort, and it is very conveniently located for exploring uptown Sedona. One of the first things I did the next day was hike around Bell Rock. I woke very early in the morning for the hike, and I chose to hike on a week day. As a result, I encountered almost no one on the trail. It felt as though I had the trail all to myself, and I got to watch the sun rise in the sky and light up the red rocks with fiery color. I saw some wildlife on the trail, too. It was a wonderful experience.

I spent some of the day exploring Tlaquepaque, a fascinating open-air shopping center that is directly adjacent to Los Abrigados Resort and Spa. The entire complex is built in an old Spanish style, with stucco arches, beautiful fountains, lots of Mexican tile work, statuary, and well-kept landscaping. There is even a chapel in the shopping center. They have some wonderful shops there. Some shops sell only beads and shells, some only sell music boxes. Many art galleries are located here.

Later that evening, we chose to have dinner at El Portal, an exclusive inn that hosts public dinners on the weekends. The pre-fixed menu was as follows: a creamy pureed vegetable soup, with delicious and beautiful garnishes; a delicious field greens salad with candied pecans, sliced pears, and balsamic vinaigrette; a mango and prickly pear sorbet to cleanse the palate; a rich, fruited duck breast with a wine sauce, mixed vegetables, and wild rice studded with nuts and other little surprises. I washed this all down with a delicious local red wine. Truly one of the great meals of my life.

The next day, we started out with a Pink Jeep Tour - the Broken Arrow Tour. What a thrilling experience! We enjoyed every minute of it. A tour like this gets you up close and personal with the red rocks without the hike. And some of the crazy parts of the road are really fun to ride on! (Especially when someone else is doing the driving!) We loved this tour.

Afterwards, we had fabulous massages at the Los Abrigados Spa. My massage therapist, Jigger, was fantastic. I would return to her for another massage in a heartbeat.

Before leaving Sedona, we stopped at the Chapel of the Holy Cross, an understated chapel that fits in seamlessly with the red rocks surrounding it. There are wonderful views from the chapel, and the actual sanctuary had a simple, peaceful quality that was very engaging. It was a lovely visit, even if the gift shop was a tourist trap.

On our way out of Sedona, we drove through Oak Creek Canyon, which is a beautiful drive. We also stopped at Garland's Indian Jewelry, a shop which had some absolutely beautiful items, very tastefully displayed. My only complaint is that no prices were visible. I generally feel much more comfortable shopping when I know the prices of the items I am inspecting. Otherwise, how am I to know what I can afford and what I can't afford? I found this to be true in many of the shops in Scottsdale as well. Annoying.

And from Sedona - on to the Grand Canyon!

Comments