Remembering the Alamo

I saw The Alamo this week, and I left it with mixed feelings. The film tells the story of the 1836 battle at the Alamo. (The structure was initially built as a mission, but, because of its strategic location and sturdy construction, it was usually used as a fort.) The Alamo comes under seige by Santa Ana's Mexican army. Far out numbered and cut off from help, a handful of soldiers and volunteers, which include American legends Davy Crockett (played by Billy Bob Thornton) and Jim Bowie (played by Jason Patric), brace for a fight to the death. The Mexican army, several thousand strong, storm the Alamo, and all within perish. Sam Houston (played by Dennis Quaid) eventually exacts vengeance for the losses suffered at the Alamo, granting Santa Ana his own life in return for Texas, thus ending the struggle for Texas' independence.

First of all, because I am certainly not an expert on the history of Texas, I can't vouch for every jot and tittle of the film's historical accuracy. Because the legend of the Alamo is so well known, however, and because its story is so inherently dramatic, I did find that the plot resonated with me as an American. The star of the film is clearly Billy Bob Thornton, in a layered turn as Davy Crockett. The script for this movie cleverly casts Crockett as a man struggling to live up to his own image. Scenes in which Crockett admits that he can't turn tail and run (and much later, when he refuses to "surrender" to Santa Ana) because of his reputation are some of the best in the film. In fact, most of my favorite scenes were those in which Crockett took center stage. He makes a heartbreaking fireside confession to some of the men one evening, and he also shines in fiddle-playing scenes. Honestly, if the movie had been more about Crockett and his experience at the Alamo, I think it would have been a better, tighter film.

As it was, I felt some of the other characters (in what perhaps was meant to be an ensemble cast) did little for me. Jason Patric as Jim Bowie came closest to being a rounded, developed character, but didn't quite make it. William Travis (played by Patrick Wilson) was probably next in line. Dennis Quaid as Sam Houston wasn't given much to work with, script-wise, but he did his best. All in all, I thought the focus of the movie was too broad. For example, it might have behooved the film more to focus on fewer main characters and perhaps end with the fall of the Alamo, and then have white script on a black screen to explain how Houston's army triumphed over Santa Ana shortly thereafter.

Anyway, there is some language and much rather graphic battle violence in this film, so I wouldn't recommend it for families or young viewers. (I can't believe it was rated PG13. Even I had to cover my eyes at points, and I'm almost 30!) More than anything, I took away from this film a real desire to visit the Alamo and remember the men who died there. I would love to see it with my own eyes.

Comments