Busy town, busy woman.

A quick report on the Erma Bombeck show at New Stage. I thought it was good; Shirley Simpson is a wonderful actress, and she did a great job. I would absolutely love to see her in more productions, and I will make the effort to do so. The only thing I would have changed - the script is very self-referential. (The show is set up with the conceit that the "spirit" of Erma Bombeck has been allowed to return to Earth to do this special show. This set-up was mentioned and explained numerous times, and I thought it got a little thin.)

Hubby and I went to Natchez this weekend for a little time away. We stayed at a little B&B, shopped downtown, and generally enjoyed ourselves. We also ate a fabulous dinner at The Castle, the restaurant on the grounds of Dunleith. WOW. I had the duck with a roasted apple compote, served with sauteed spinach and wild rice. Brian and I split the crabcake appetizer, but it would be worth ordering your OWN. (Only love for him kept me from eating the whole thing myself.)

We also happened to stumble on an arts and crafts fair while we were there. I picked up some amazing pieces - hand-carved wooden hair clips, a gorgeous hand-made wooden salad bowl (polished to a high sheen - I have been lusting after these at the Craftsmen's Guild for years, but I could never afford them. Buying direct does have its privileges!), a copper ring. We also toured Monmouth, which was all right, but not very much of a tour. Mostly, we legged it around downtown and eyed real estate. (It's a weird thing - every time Brian and I go on a trip, we notice what's for sale and pick up those little real estate pamphlets. I think we have this weird idea that, some day, we'll own several homes and just jet between them, living the high life. How we'll pay for this fantasy existence, I have no idea.)

Oooh, we also stopped for a bite at the Pig Out Inn. We didn't throw caution to the wind (we opted to split a rib plate), but we did sample some of the best potato salad of my life. I talked with the staff and jotted down the ingredients. Now, Brian and I will test exhaustively until we get it just right.

I know. It's tough being me sometimes. :-)

Comments