Seen any good movies lately?

Why, yes, I have.

The most notable good flick I've seen lately is Capote. I know, I know. I should have watched it back in 2005 with everyone else. But, look, I have been really BUSY since then, ok? Cut me some slack, dangit.

At any rate, I finally did get around to watching it, and it really is as good as everyone said. Phillip Seymour Hoffman clearly deserved the Oscar he won for his performance as author Truman Capote. When the movie begins, Capote is fresh off the success of Breakfast at Tiffany's. He's looking for a new story to write, and he stumbles across a newspaper story about some brutal murders in Kansas.

He heads to the tiny town that has been turned upside down by the tragedy and quickly realizes that the raw material there will help him create the best book he's ever written. As part of his research, Capote develops a close relationship with one of the accused killers, Perry White. As a viewer, I was unsure whether or not his relationship was genuine or self-serving, and I think that's the way director Bennett Miller wanted it.

Over the course of four years, Capote works with Perry, trying to get him to tell him the story of the night of the murders. In the end, Capote publishes one of the most revolutionary novels of the 20th century - In Cold Blood. However, the experience clearly takes its toll on Capote, whose career follows a steady downward trend after In Cold Blood's marvelous success. It is the viewer's pondering of what effect writing the novel must have had on the author that makes watching the film so worthwhile.

Definitely worth seeing. Performances are wonderful, and the story will make you think.

I also had the chance to see the film adaptation of The Secret Life of Bees, a novel that I really loved. Starring Dakota Fanning, Jennifer Hudson, Queen Latifah, Alicia Keys, and Paul Bettany, you can hardly go wrong here. As I mentioned, I loved the book, and I was a little disappointed that some of the "magic" qualities of the novel were not translated to the film. Overall, though, I thought performances were strong (particularly Dakota Fanning and Queen Latifah) and enough of the book's original charm made the leap between mediums.

Worth watching; more of a chick flick than anything else.

Comments

Unknown said…
I totally agree with you. I thought Capote was amazing, whereas Secret Life of Bees left a lot to be desired. But such is often the case when a great book is turned to film.

I saw The Blind Side last week with a girlfriend and we loved it. Based on a true story and I adore Sandra Bullock.