Better with butter.

I had the chance to see the movie Julie and Julia a couple of weeks ago. I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to writing about it sooner, because I absolutely loved it!

First of all, Meryl Streep. Need I say more? She totally nails the Julia Child voice and mannerisms. But she does it while maintaining Julia as an actual person, not some 2D caricature. Amy Adams, as Julie Powell, is no slouch, either. Streep and Stanley Tucci do an excellent job of re-creating the Childs' warm and wonderful love affair, and Chris Messina is admirable as Powell's long-suffering husband.

Though there is significantly less profanity in the movie than in the book it was based on, it's a pretty close match up other than that. And I loved the light touch of the film. Though Childs' inability to have a baby was referenced, it wasn't belabored, and though the Powell marriage went through its up and downs (and ended, I believe, not too long ago), those troubles didn't overwhelm the real story - a woman's discovery of her voice and her confidence in the kitchen.

I laughed out loud a few times, and I completely enjoyed myself while watching this movie. Very much recommended!

Comments

I too enjoyed this movie! I was so inspired to do something just as personal and self-indulgent...I have (not from looking, just stumbled on the plus of it being self-indulgent) found that the gym is my self-indulgent improvement for myself!!
Nicole Bradshaw said…
You are a better woman than I! For me, indulgent is pretzels dipped in Nutella or a long pedicure!