Curtain up!

Finally got back to New Stage recently to see The Miracle Worker. I'd never seen this show live, and I knew some of the cast members, so I was excited to settle into my comfortable new theatre seat and take in the show.

First and foremost, I thought this show was cast and directed very well. Absolutely no weak links in the main players. Sharon Miles (as Viney) and Larry Wells (as Captain Keller) gave me particular joy, and of course Jessica Wilkinson (as Annie Sullivan) was a major pillar of the production. Blocking was obviously carefully thought-out, as in many scenes, quite a few actors on stage could result in a cluttered appearance and/or nonsensical crosses.

Though the play was written in the late 50s, it being a period piece protects it from seeming dated. The set and lighting were beautiful and served the production well. Costuming by Angelle Mundia was wonderful, save for one odd-shaped bustle on Mrs. Keller that I found a bit distracting.

All in all, I thought this was a wonderful production, and I'm glad I had the chance to go see it! Next up at New Stage: The 39 Steps, a thriller/comedy, Jan. 25-Feb. 6.

Comments