Birthday girl

I recently had a birthday, and it pleased me so much that I thought I'd write about it here.

First of all, you should probably know that I'm not one of those people who worries too much about turning a year older. What I like is to celebrate something, anything, and a birthday gives me a wonderful excuse to do just that. In fact, I prefer to stretch my celebrating out over several days so as to prolong the birthday halo.

On the morning of my birthday, I awoke to cards, sweet kisses, and a chorus of "Happy birthdays!" from my two men. So darling!

Later, my co-workers treated me to breakfast at Broad Street Bakery & Cafe. I LOVE this restaurant. Now, during Christmas 2009, the bakery had made a special holiday scone - a ginger apricot scone. I tried it then and fell in love. But then the holiday season ended, and the bakery stopped making it. I resigned myself to 11 months without it. However, when Christmas 2010 rolled around, did the bakery start making my scone again? NO! Aaack! I posted sweet entreaties to their Facebook account. I begged the checkout girl each time I ate there. All to no avail.

However, on the morning of my birthday, WHAT had my sweet work friends arranged to have baked up special for me? An entire baker's dozen of heavenly apricot ginger scones! It was pure bliss. I ate my fill, then froze the remainder in individual serving sizes, so I can stretch the baked yumminess out for another month or two.

All day on my actual birthday, I got sweet phone calls, e-mail messages, and texts from people wishing me a happy birthday. Lots of fun little conversations and chances to catch up with folks.

Then, in the early afternoon, a beautiful bouquet of flowers was delivered to my office. Sweet hubs. He knows just what to do, doesn't he?

The next day, I treated myself to a fun lunch with a friend in the middle of a hectic work day. (Happy birthday to me!) We met at Nagoya, I didn't rush through my meal, and we had a wonderful time, talking and laughing.

Later, hubs and I dropped little man off at my parents' house for the night while we went for a leisurely dinner at Parlor Market. We had the charcuterie platter, then I got the mussel pasta (a special - mussels with squid ink pasta, garlic, and Parmesan. OMG.), and we finished up with the apple tart. Divine!

So, with that, I *may* consider my birthday celebrating over. (If you don't count the Birmingham shopping trip I'll take with my good friend next month. It is, after all, still a little close to my birthday, right? Right?)

Comments