Hotlanta for One, Please

There's beauty everywhere you look at the
Atlanta Botanical Garden.
 I had to be in Atlanta in September for a conference, and I decided to trot up a few days early and see the sights. It had been such a long time since I'd been a tourist in Atlanta. I was excited to revisit it!

After my flight arrived, I checked into the Hampton Inn and Suites Downtown. I chose this hotel for its central location, attractive price point, and free breakfast. Throughout my stay in town, it was a comfortable home away from home, and the staff was super friendly and helpful. (The front desk staff and those keeping the breakfast buffet stocked were particularly attentive.)

Then, I changed clothes and caught an Uber to the Atlanta Botanical Garden. Oh, what a wonder it is! I had an absolutely gorgeous day to tour it, and the gardens did not disappoint! They showed off in the sunshine for all of the visitors! After entering, I started in the Trustees Garden, with a lovely courtyard and some views. I took a quick detour in the playful Children's Garden before admiring the striking Chihuly in the elaborate parterre garden (a formal garden, banked on two side by halls, with a lovely raised overlook. Then, the rose garden, the Japanese garden, the expansive great lawn.

Fried goat cheese at Ecco
I stopped for a quick bite of lunch at the LongLeaf Cafe, which is on-site, before continuing my tour.

There is so much to see here. The conservatory and orchid center are packed with interesting and exotic specimens, and I loved, loved the wood walks and the Goddess. (She was being restored at the time, but still cool to see!) I spent the better part of the day here, stopping in the gift shop on my way out for some treasures.

I made my way back to my hotel and took a well-deserved break before venturing out for dinner that night. I'd heard good things about Ecco, and it was in close proximity to the Fox Theatre (where I had a 7:30 p.m. curtain), so it was a deal.

The lovely Fox Theatre!
And, boy, was it a good one. At the suggestion of my waiter, I started with the fried goat cheese. Oh. Em. Geeeee!! Think balls of goat cheese, which are doused in a light tempura batter, then flash fried. They are placed in a bowl, drizzled with honey, and dusted lightly with black pepper. I got other things (the grilled squid, the deeply satisfying walnut cake), but the fried goat cheese was the find of the night. Just scrumptious! Service was good, prices were pretty reasonable, and they got me out the door in plenty of time to make my show.

The Lincoln Center production of The King and I was touring, and I just happened to be in Atlanta during one of their nights at the Fox. It had been YEARS since I'd been to this theatre. Myself and a group of girlfriends had last visited to watch The Phantom of the Opera when we were in high school. On that long-ago night, I remember stepping into the gorgeous Fox Theatre and thinking that I HAD ARRIVED. The interior of the theatre is just beautiful, designed to look as though spectators are sitting outside, underneath a starry sky. I clearly remember thinking, "Look at all these sophisticated grown ups at this fancy theatre. And I AM ONE OF THEM."

Centennial Olympic Park

I can now report that the theatre is just as gorgeous as it ever was. I was a little worried that a big show like The King and I wouldn't travel well, but I shouldn't have. It was a brilliant production. The principals were so strong, and the emotional attachment of the theatre community to this classic is a powerful force. (When Anna and the King began to dance, her hoop skirts swirling, I admit to getting misty.) It was a wonderful production, and I was glad that I got the chance to see it!

Bison burger at Ted's Montana Grill
The next morning, I enjoyed a day of conference sessions at Coca-Cola Headquarters. The interior of this building is completely brand-consistent, and you are never more than a few steps from an ice-cold Coke. (It was uncanny to see soft drink machines that didn't accept money. You just pushed the button, and whatever you selected popped out.)

Once my conference activities were over, I headed to Centennial Olympic Park to stretch my legs. The park was constructed for the 1996 Summer Olympics, and it's still beautiful today. I entered at the Fountain of Rings. After a quick stop at the visitors' center, I walked down through all of the quilt gardens, which are shady and cool with water features. After stopping to admire the Paralympic Legacy, I walked back up the other side of the park, taking in the skyline views and art pieces.

After my turn through the park, I was hungry! I ducked into the nearby Ted's Montana Grill for dinner, ordering a bison burger with Gruyere and caramelized onions. Paired with fries and a huckleberry margarita, it was completely satisfying and a great meld of flavors.

Lovely views from SkyView Atlanta
Finished with dinner, I had one last activity on my must list. I walked a block or so to SkyView Atlanta and hopped aboard for sweeping views of Atlanta at sunset. So, so pretty. The giant ferris wheel punctuates the city skyline in this part of town, both day and night, and it's a treat to see all the landmarks from above!

Then, it was off to bed! More to come . . .


Comments