Inspiration at Historic Mission Control

Over the summer, I traveled to Houston for business. I haven't spent much time in the city, so while I was there, I decided to check out one of the area's top attractions - the Houston Space Center. It's a fascinating place, and I'd advise anyone to stop by for a full day of wonder!

First, a word about planning. I highly recommend purchasing your entry tickets online in advance. You can search online for admission codes and save dollars this way. It also lessens your time in line when you arrive. I also advise booking timed tickets for the free, on-site tram tours ahead of time online. Lines were long for the tram tours, but if you had a pre-booked ticket, you stepped right on the tram. All that to say, you can maximize your sight-seeing time with a bit of forward planning. 

I started my visit in the main plaza, which is the entry lobby that leads you to tons of cool artifacts - rovers, models of the International Space Station, an exhibit on NASA's Mission to Mars, Apollo modules, and space suits. I spent a good long while poking through some of the galleries here before heading over for my tram tour.



You can book either (or both) of the free tram tours, which take you to different attractions. Dress for the weather for these tours, and really for your whole visit, because you'll spend a good deal of time outside. I chose the tram tour that would take me to both Rocket Park (where an actual Saturn V rocket is on display) and historic Mission Control. (At the time, the other tour would have taken me to Rocket Park and the facility where astronauts currently train. I didn't have time for both!) The tour takes about an hour. 

Historic Mission Control
I loved this part of the attraction. To sit in the theatre at Mission Control, to see the little speaker box through which crackled some of our space program's most famous words ("Houston, we have a problem."), it was just amazing to be that close to American history. There is an honest-to-God red phone in there. (Holy history, Batman!) The tour guides were knowledgeable and pleasant, and they move guests in and out of the facility with precision. 

Rocket Park was interesting, too, with the sheer size of the pieces on display giving new perspective into what it takes to explore space. (There are drink machines and restrooms here if you need a break. In addition, the Saturn is inside, so you're shaded. Though the space isn't air-conditioned, big fans spaced throughout provide some relief on hot days.)

Even the time on the tram was interesting, with the guide telling you all about the history of the sights you were passing. (We even saw three deer!)

After the tram tour, I went back to the main building. There, I nosed through the Starship Gallery (An Apollo 17 module! A moon rock you can touch!) and headed for Independence Plaza. There, you can take an inside tour of a shuttle replica and a shuttle carrier aircraft. So cool! 

By this time, I was pooped, so I took a turn through the gift shop and called it a day. But I loved my visit here! It reminded me of how much we can accomplish if we work together!

Comments