Just Call Me Lizzie . . .

It was very important to hubs that I wear this outfit on our axe-throwing date. VERY IMPORTANT.

Borden, that is.

Several weeks ago, hubs and I noticed a new establishment opening in a strip mall near our house. Upon closer inspection, we discovered Black Axes Throwing Club, a business where you pay to throw axes at a wooden target.

Having never thrown axes before, I was immediately intrigued. For my recent birthday, we grabbed a couple of fun friends and went to check it out! We'd reserved our slots ahead of time online, and I was really glad we did. By the time we left, there was a fairly lengthy line to throw. You can also fill out your waiver - which is surprisingly brief - before arriving. (I think our waiver to jump at the trampoline park was longer. Seriously.)

We got there right at 4 p.m., our appointed time, which also happened to be when they opened. After a brief check-in (confirm your waiver, close-toed shoes, etc.), our "axe-pert" took us to our two throwing lanes for a safety briefing and quick lesson. Then, he set the timer for a 1-hour throw, and we had at it.

Some of the advice they gave us:

  1. Throw with your arm, not your shoulder. 
  2. Don't overthink it.
  3. It's a good idea to step into the throw.
  4. Release with ease. Just let the axe go. 

I was initially concerned about safety. After all, it's not every day you're hurling axes around. However, each throwing lane is closed off, floor to ceiling, so there's little chance of someone else's axe coming into your space. Coordinating with you lane-mate is the most important thing, and if you do that and follow directions, even a first-timer like myself would find it hard to get injured. 

What I learned - I'm not a natural axe thrower. After throwing for an hour, I think I hit the target 6-7 times. (No one in our group stuck the target for the first 20 minutes or so. It takes a while to get the hang of it.) I was, by far, the worst thrower in our group! One of our members, a former Boy Scout, put us all to shame! I found it easy to get the axe to hit the target where I aimed. Often, however, the axe didn't stick. 

Dinner at Koestler Prime! Yum!
The experience reminded me a lot of all the group games I've played in the past - darts, pool, bowling. There's a body memory to it, so you have to get your body used to the feel of the movement before you can forget to try so hard.

I hit the target often enough to enjoy the experience, moved around a little, and had a great time trying something new! I could definitely see myself going back, and I think an hour of axe-throwing would make for the start of a GREAT girls' night out.

After our hour was up, I took a quick break to gussy up, and then we went to dinner at Koestler Prime. If you've never been to this local steak house in Ridgeland, you're missing out! It's become my favorite steak place for special occasions. They always take such good care of us, and the food is sooooo good! (They even put a candle in my cheesecake! Happy birthday to me!)





Comments