Self Care

Rose petal baths, y'all. You NEED these in your life!

Ok, can we just take a quick moment to talk about self care? I'm a big believer. 

Like the lives of many people, my life can be stressful at times. I routinely work in crisis situations, navigate office politics, try to keep a 12-year-old out of the emergency room, juggle a lot of competing priorities, etc., so a bit of quality down-time is something I value. 

Some things I focus on to preserve my sanity include:
  • Exercise. Staying active has been a great stress-reliever for me. It takes commitment, but I'm always glad I've gone to the gym. And I'm also rewarded with a more physically resilient body on a day-to-day basis, so I get sick less. 
  • Skin care. During the week, I don't do too much besides cleansing and moisturizing. But on the weekends, I'll often put on a masque (charcoal, hydrating, brightening, whatever) or do a light at-home peel. I love the GlamGlow line (especially their charcoal extraction masque), but those great little one-use masques you can find at drugstores (like the ones from Burt's Bees - a great American company) are fun, too, and make a great pick-me-up! 
  • Relationships. Spending time with people I love rejuvenates me. This may be quality time with my husband and son, time with other family members, or time with good friends. Spending time with people I love helps me keep my priorities in order and stay in touch with who I am. 
  • Rose petal baths. During a trip to Santa Fe last summer, I enjoyed a rose petal bath at a spa. I was completely blown away and have since taken to drawing one for myself now and again at home. These baths make me feel like a goddess. (And for what? A little time and two $10-dollar bouquets from the grocery store.) I'll take a glass of wine in there with me, and I also have a bath playlist featuring tunes that bliss me out. 
  • Massages and facials. All of that exercise sometimes means muscles that can be tired and/or sore. Occasionally, I'll book a massage so I can get all of the kinks worked out. I've also found a great place for facials, and I leave there glowing anytime I visit! This may not be something I can do all the time, but I really enjoy it when I do make an appointment. 
  • Reading. I love books and magazines and can easily get lost in one for an hour or two.
  • Television. There are some really good programs out there! When I find a show I especially like, it's great to escape into it for a bit.
  • Nail care. I almost always have lacquer on my toenails and fingernails. This is something I do for myself at home. (I am CRAZY ticklish, and it's hard for me to let someone give me a pedicure at a nail salon!) It makes me feel put together to do this for myself, and I enjoy it every time I look down and see it. 
  • Naps. Naps, y'all. What more do I need to say here? Sometimes, we just need more sleep!
  • Cuddles. I need them. When I'm feeling sad or run-down, hubs and I will climb into bed for a talk and a cuddle. It always makes me feel better. (I can still convince my son to cuddle with me sometimes, but hubs is a much easier mark! Heh.)
  • Comfort food. Food that comforts me doesn't have to be bad for me. I love a good roast chicken with vegetables. Or a stew/soup with a piece of crusty bread. I make cups of decaf chai tea with a dollop of heavy cream in them, and I drink them while munching a graham cracker or a shortbread cookie. 
  • Art. Art soothes me and gets me out of my own head for a bit. I love going to a museum or seeing a live show at the theatre. It gives me time away from my own thoughts and (sometimes) better perspective. 
  • Candles and music. On cold winter evenings, when I finally get home from work and into my comfy PJs, I'll turn on the gas logs, light some of my scented candles, and turn on some music that I love. Then, I'll curl up on the couch next to the fireplace with a book, a magazine, or my iPad. It's wonderful. I got this idea of The Little Book of Hygge, which talks about how to feel cozy. 
  • Playing music. I have a piano, and though I'm no virtuoso, it's fun to pull out some sheet music and shake the dust off my playing skills. (I have a guitar, too, but I'm so bad at it that it annoys me rather than relaxes me to play it! HA!)
Depending on how life is going, I'll mix and match the above based on what kind of time/money I have available. Though this isn't an exhaustive list, these are some of my go-tos that take me from burned-out to restored. I'm a better person when I fill up my own cup, too! 



Comments