Find Your Park

Gulf Islands National Seashore 


If there has been ANY winner at all during this global pandemic, it's been our parks system. As more and more Americans have been searching for virus-free ways to recreate during the past five months, they've turned to the outdoors. And many of them - myself included - have turned to state and national parks. These oft-hidden gems are likely closer (and more breathtaking) than you think. 

After my hiking trip to Asheville, North Carolina last fall, I pledged to myself that I'd do a better job of taking more outdoor, active vacations. So, for our family trip to Mexico in late February, I had us hiking up pyramids and swimming in cenotes (all of which we LOVED). I guess I didn't expect the universe to take me quite so seriously, however, and make it an honest-to-God requirement

Since the global pandemic began, I've canceled international travel to the great cities of the world in favor of staying closer to home and pursuing outdoor adventures. Locally, I've spent time on the Natchez Trace Parkway and at the Vicksburg National Military Park. In June, I drove up to north Georgia to hike at Amicalola Falls State Park and Fort Mountain State Park, and we also visited Lake Blue Ridge in the Chattahoochee National Forest. And now, I've just come back from a trip during which I hiked at Gulf Islands National Seashore.   

If you, like me, have rediscovered your local and regional public lands lately, I have good news. With all of the crazy in the news cycle these days, you may have missed hearing about the Great American Outdoors Act, which received bipartisan support in Congress and was passed by both houses in July. It now awaits the president's signature. 

The legislation will pump billions of dollars into overdue repairs and maintenance in our parks system, and it's being hailed as the biggest land conservation bill in a generation. This action reminds me that, even in the midst of an absolutely frustrating, inconceivable time, we can find silver linings and hope. 

"In the presence of nature, a wild delight runs through the man, in spite of real sorrows. Nature says - he is my creature, and despite all his impertinent griefs, he shall be glad with me."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson


Comments