A new direction

Ok, here's the thing. I started this blog because I wanted to be more accountable for running and staying in shape. But I started thinking that, in addition to writing about exercising, I could write about books, movies, plays, travel, etc. I could make the blog more about personal growth, ideas, etc., instead of just sweat and mileage.

Anyway, to start, I DID do a 4 mile group run on Monday night. My speed wasn't good, but it was nice to get outside for a real run instead of logging miles on the treadmill or the elliptical trainer. The moon was almost totally full, and the temps weren't too cool for me to enjoy being outside. I'm afraid I slowed the other runners down a bit, though! I met a friend at the gym this morning for a quick elliptical/weight training session, as well. I need to work out at least one more time this week.

Hubby and I went to New Orleans last weekend for a friend's wedding. We stayed at the Lafayette Hotel, a great property right on the street car line. We ate dinner at HerbSaint while in the city, and I must say it was sublime. Pricey but worth it. Paneed pork tenderloin with creamy polenta and mushrooms. Shrimp and grits. Grilled redfish with pilaf and veggies. Great wines, too. Odd, isn't it? How I'll run miles and work out just so that I can eat whatever my little heart desires?

The wedding was wonderful. It was a traditional Catholic ceremony with a nuptial mass. Gorgeous a capella voices drifted down from the choir loft, resonating in the airy hall of the church. Sometimes, as a Protestant, I long for the beauty and pageantry of a more ritualistic faith. (But then, I sit in a mass for an hour and a half, and it passes.) The music was gorgeous, though. Something like what I imagine angels must sound like.

The groom, a buddy of mine from college, was glowing. I was so happy for him.

More thoughts later . . .

Comments