Thursday, January 20, 2005

So far, so good

I've been to the gym a couple of times this week, and I'll be going again tomorrow morning. I ran on the treadmill today, and earlier this week I put in a session on the elliptical. I do have a question, though. At what settings should I be using these machines to achieve exertion similar to jogging down the street? I get so proud of myself because I run for 2 or 3 miles on the treadmill at a pretty good clip, but I can't achieve similar results when I do my real-world running. Advice? I'd like to run more outside, but during the times that work for me to exercise (early mornings), it's pitch black out there, with little lighting on the street. (Plus, it's COLD!!) :-)

1 comment:

Mark Simpson said...

Nicole - the best way to set the elliptical is at one or two bars and ignore the mileage. Go for the length of time it would take you to get in the miles on the road. The slower you go - the more fat burning you will accomplish (you have to do about 45 minutes). The faster you go, you will be burning up your immediate reserves and that is really only helpful if you are trying to get your speed up. There are better ways to train for that. Remember 45 minutes of elliptical slow produces the same kind of endurance as 45 minutes fast.