Lazy Lady

Well, I had no appointments this weekend. And did I do anything? No.

Brian and I rented National Treasure with Nicholas Cage. Now I really regret not going to see it in the theater. I thought it was a great family movie. Lots of action, not too much violence, pretty clean language, and even a history angle! I love adventures! (I got goosebumps a few times.) Some of the chase scenes went on a little too long, but, other than that, this was a great movie. Rent it if you have the chance!

We went out to eat at Fratesi's, a little Italian place in Ridgeland near the reservoir. It's a great little restaurant. (The first time we went there, we were still dating. I remember thinking that it was so romantic!) Brian loves the seafood lasagna there; I usually get the shrimp alfredo. (Both are amazing.) Over the weekend, though, I tried the shrimp scampi. Yum! The portion sizes at Fratesi's are just right - not too big, not too little. (It reminds me of the portion sizes overseas. There's always plenty of food to fill you up, but you can eat the whole serving and still feel fine afterwards. Whereas on this side of the Atlantic, you practically need to be carried out of the restaurant on a stretcher if you eat the entire serving of anything.) We had room for dessert! (Tiramisu - need I say more?) With tip, the tab came to around $45, which I thought was a very reasonable price for the meal we had.

I'm almost finished reading The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Yes, I know, I should have read it ages ago. I've seen the movie (starring Sandra Bullock and Ashley Judd), but I hadn't yet read the book until this weekend. It's definitely a good book, and I'm surprised by how faithful the movie was to the original story. (Much of the time, movies based on books are hardly recognizable as derivations of the novel.) Reading about such good friends makes me wish I'd kept up with more of my childhood pals. We got so far-flung, though. Everyone went their separate ways after high school graduation. My 10-year high school reunion is coming up. Maybe that will give me a chance to catch up with some of my old friends.

We've booked our hotel in Phoenix for our upcoming Arizona trip! We will be staying at the Legacy Golf Resort. It's a little bit outside of Phoenix (which I like), and it looks like it has some nice amenities. Brain is interested in playing a round or two of golf, or maybe visiting a driving range, while we are on vacation. I still can't believe that he didn't do any golfing while we were in Hawaii. There were some amazing courses there.

We also went ahead and booked two nights at the Yavapai Lodge for our stay at the Grand Canyon. It, too, is a little off the beaten path, which is exactly why we chose it. (We hate crowds.) We are still looking for accommodations in Sedona. I'm looking forward to this trip with such relish. We haven't really been on vacation since last fall. I don't know what it is with me and traveling. I guess I just feel a need to experience the world around me and visit places that I've read about or heard about. And I guess I don't want to wrap up my little life without doing any exploring.

Anyway, I am anticipating the beautiful scenery of the Southwest, which will bo so different from what I am used to. Mississippi is a beautiful state, but it looks nothing like Arizona. Mesas, desert, red rocks - the contrast should be quite dramatic. I plan on doing a bit of hiking on this trip, so I may have to do some conditioning before we go west.

Comments