The T-Rex That Ate Jackson

I went to the premiere of the "A T-Rex Named Sue" exhibit last night at the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science. WOW. First of all, the thing is huge. Its head is almost the size of my entire body. Three or four full-grown people could easily fit in its stomach. (As I overheard at the premiere, "I'm glad it's dead. We would lose.") BIG teeth and BIG clawed feet.

Along with the skeleton, there was an interactive exhibit. While it was clearly for people much younger than myself, I went through it to check it out. They had cool kiosks where you could change the coloring of a T-rex, investigate what type of arm function it may have had, experiment with movement of its tail and head, and step inside the brain of a T-rex to see what its vision might have been like. (Most predators can focus their eyes in front of them, like humans, allowing them to zone in on a target and achieve it. The triceratops, however, wasn't so lucky. You can check out what it's like to have eyes on the sides of your head, too. No wonder he needed so much armor!) I highly recommend this one, folks. I hope that I can get my nephew out to see it. (And that it doesn't scare him!)

Plus, the museum itself is a great attraction to visit. They are in a new building in Lefleur's Bluff Park, and they have grounds with trails on them behind the museum. Lots of cool aquariums, displays of Mississippi wildlife, and other things to look at and learn.

Today, I am a free woman! I have no appointments!! I'm thinking of either going by the Mississippi Museum of Art or catching the Adrenaline Rush film at the Russell C. Davis Planetarium. (The film is supposed to show you what it's like to sky dive, base jump, etc. Since I'll never do those things in real life, I can at least watch them on TV!) You can learn more about Adrenaline Rush, and the other films scheduled at the planetarium, by going to their web site.

JubileeJam! is also this weekend. While I haven't been in a few years, I may stop by this one. (The weather is BEAUTIFUL out.) You can get the schedule and ticket information at the JubileeJam! web site.

Can't wait to get out there!

Comments