Go big red!

I had a very surreal experience last night. I went to the first function of my 10-year high school reunion. Weird, weird, weird. But fun!

The 10-Year Clinton High School Reunion began with a casual event at Cascades Racquet Club. First of all, everybody looks almost exactly the same as they did in high school. I guess that ten years doesn't change us very much (at least outwardly) after all. Secondly, it was really nice to catch up with SO many people that I knew during their formative years. I was pleasantly surprised with how upbeat everyone was, and what a good time we all had talking with one another. We are supposed to have a picnic today (if we don't get rained out), and then the big bash tonight. Then, I suppose, I have tomorrow to recoup before returning to work next week. Sheesh.

I also feel compelled to write a short ode to summer tomatoes. A friend brought some to me last week that her father had grown, and then my neighbor brought some by that she had grown. An embarassment of riches!! I cut one up and ate it with salt and pepper while making dinner. Red, all the way through. And not a wimpy red. A dark jewel-like color. It was so juicy and flavorful. Nothing I buy commercially comes close to touching the quality of a homegrown tomato. (I have tried to make do with so many pale, mealy excuses. It's a tragedy, trying to eat a tomato in the winter.) If I'm brave one summer, I'll try growing my own. I also added one to a salad, and I used several to make pasta. (I still have two or three left!! Who knows what pleasures await?)

Comments