Through a glass darkly

I went by to check out the Mississippi Museum of Art's new exhibit, Mirror, Mirror: Portraits and Self-Portraits. I really enjoyed it. The exhibit, which is on display until October 9th, contains work by Renoir (a lithograph), Welty (some of her famous WPA photographs), Holligsworth (some wonderful self-portraits and portraits of his family members. There's one, of his father, that I found particularly compelling.), Warhol (the famous Marilyn, as well as a self-portrait), Picasso (The Faun, I believe), and Cassat (a delightful rendering of a girl in a hat), among others. There are lots of drawings, lithographs, and etchings displayed, as well as oils and photographs. I really enjoy studying self-portraits, because I like to see the artist the way he sees himself. Or what he (or she) wants us to think that self-perception is. Or even, perhaps how he (or she) wants to be seen. It is an interesting reflective way of creating art and observing art, I think.

The museum is open from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, and 12 noon - 5p.m. on Sundays. Admission is $5 for adults. For more information, call 601-960-1515.

Also, if you are not a member of of the museum's support group, I encourage you to join. Individual memberships can be purchased for $35, and benefits include free admission to the museum for one year, a subscription to the museum newsletter, invitations to special events, and free admission to participating museums in the Southeastern Museums Reciprocal Membership Program.

Comments