The audition.

Well, I have a confession to make. While I blithely attend and critique theatre productions quite a bit, I have not actually performed in a theatre production in about six years. That's right, six years. Between marriage, traveling (some of) the world, and finishing graduate school, I haven't exactly been able to plan my life around local productions that looked interesting to me.

However, I'm out of grad school now, and I've just finished a major project at work, leaving me with the wherewithal in the evenings to consider actually doing some acting again. I must admit, I'm approaching this with more than a little trepidation. I mean, lurking in the back of my mind is the old saying, "Use it or lose it." I haven't performed in such a long time; what if I've lost my knack for the craft?

Anyway, a local theatre is holding auditions in the next few weeks, and I've signed up for an audition appointment. I've even scheduled some studio time to get a new headshot. Now, I just need to freshen my performing resume, find a monologue, and hit the boards.

It's odd - for so long I've lived my life without really putting myself out there in the way that a professional actor does every day. I haven't asked for approval or validation in a while. I've become very comfortable calling the shots in my life. But I've noticed that a creative spark has been lacking. I miss it. Not like my breath, my soul, and my very reason for being, but I miss it.

So, I'm going to give it another go (in my old age!).

Wish me luck!

(Yikes.)

Comments

Nicole Bradshaw said…
Leah,

It's so good to hear from you! You may not remember me - we worked together in New Stage's The Diary of Anne Frank. (I played Margot.)

How on earth are you? I hope all is well!

I DO run in to Chris from time to time. He's is doing great; I will send him your regards.

NB