Dickens Down South.

On Sunday, hubby and I went to see New Stage Theatre’s production of A Christmas Carol. We both really enjoyed it. The script that New Stage uses is an adaptation of Dickens' original story, created by Ivan Rider (a former artistic director of the theatre).

This year, Sam Sparks was directing, and we knew oodles of the cast members. It was really fun to watch. This production incorporated a lot more music than I recall from previous years, probably because the talented cast was able to sing as well as act.

The house was absolutely packed. (In fact, we’d tried to get tickets for a previous performance, but the theatre was sold out.) All the kids and parents in the audience really contributed to the holiday feel of the production.

We loved Turner Crumbley as Bob Cratchit, JoAnne Robinson as Belle/Mrs. Cratchit, Brian Folkis in a number of roles (his scene with Laura Hastings, who played the thieving maid that steals Scrooge’s bed sheets right out from under him, was one of my absolute favorites in the show), and (of course) Danny Dauphin as Fred and Anna Lise Jensen as Kate. (My buds!)

Well, now I’ve seen some version of The Nutcracker and enjoyed a production of The Christmas Carol. My tree is decorated, my gifts are bought and wrapped. Christmas is afoot!

Comments