Me thought funny it was.

I just finished reading David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day, and I am hooked. I will go out today to a book store and find some of his other titles for my holiday reading list. My affection for Sarah Vowell led me to Sedaris, as they both work with National Public Radio and write short, humorous essays. She had referenced him in one of her public appearances that I watched, and so I felt compelled to find out a bit more about his work.

Sedaris has a biting, morose writing style. He's fascinated with the macabre. He is gay. Although he grew up in North Carolina, he's spent a good deal of time living in France and New York City. He has a wonderful vocabulary. Taken together, these qualities make for hiliarious story-telling. His accounts of learning French while living overseas are particularly funny. (Note: do not drink milk while reading these sections. It will spew.) And because the book is essays, most of them 5 or so pages long, you can put it down and pick it back up at any time. (Although you will have a hard time putting it down. I read most of it in a day.)

Just go and read it. You'll thank me later.

Comments