Reading, eating, napping

One of my co-workers had the absolute inspiration to give me a gift certificate to Lemuria, a local bookstore, for Christmas. Lemuria has long been a respite for thinkers in Jackson, and the store also supports Southern writers with lots of readings and signings. Needless to say, I rushed right over to pick out some holiday reading material.

First, I read Wicked, the fanciful novel by Gregory Maguire that tells the life story of Elphaba, better known as the Wicked Witch of the West. I loved it. Baum only told us Dorothy's side of the story in The Wizard of Oz. In Maguire's novel, the reader becomes enmeshed in the politics, philosophy, and world order of Oz. The novel hotly debates the topic of evil through various conversations and plot lines, showing us that everyone has a reason for their actions and that people often simply misunderstand one another. In addition, it explores themes of isolation (Elphaba, with her green skin, is different from her friends/neighbors, a thing to be scoffed at or perhaps feared), commitment to a cause (and what sacrifices that may entail), and love. The characters are richly imagined, and unfortunately for Elphaba, we all know how the story ends.

Secondly, I finished reading Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, by David Sedaris. Another winner. I am so enjoying getting to know this writer. In this book, we learn a bit more about his family. His mother sounds like an absolutely fabulous woman, someone I probably would have gotten along with very well. (In the hilarious "Let it Snow" essay, she efficiently kicks the children out of her house during a snow day, desperate for some peace and quiet. And in "The Girl Next Door," she casually mocks her son's correction of her own Chinese menu interpretations. "Oh, he speaks Chinese now! Tell me, Charlie Chan, what's the word for six straight hours of vomiting and diarrhea?") The details of his siblings' lives are also recounted, and Sedaris guiltily acknowledges his own vulture-like tendencies to turn private family moments into public reading material. Funny, funny, funny.

Now, I'm reading Naked, also by Sedaris. I promise a full review once I finish it up.

Last night, we met friends for dinner at Pan Asia, a wonderful restaurant off County Line Road in Ridgeland. After two appetizers (lettuce wraps and crab and avocado spring rolls), I had the Tom Yum soup with shrimp. Tom Yum is a delicious clear soup, flavored with whole mushrooms, lime leaves, and lemongrass. For dessert, I indulged in the Thai Lime Tart, which I highly recommend. Even better than the delicious food and great service was the company. A friend and her boyfriend were visiting from New York, and I'd seen neither of them since the summer. It was fun to catch up. I'd so missed her.

Comments