Kissing on people you shouldn't be kissing on

Hubby and I watched The Last Kiss (starring Zach Braff, Jacinda Barrett, Rachel Bilson, and Blythe Danner) a few nights ago. Not totally sure what to think. Here's the skinny:

Michael (Braff) has a beautiful girlfriend, Jenna (Barrett), that he loves and who loves him. Complication #1 - Jenna is pregnant. Michael and Jenna have decided this is a good thing, and they are going to keep the baby and raise her (it's a girl) together. Complication #2 - the couple goes to a wedding, where Michael meets Kim (Bilson), who for no apparent reason, throws herself shamelessly at him. Kim is about 20 and still in college. Michael is almost 30 and has a baby on the way (a fact he conveniently forgets to tell Kim). Of course, MAJOR complications ensue.

Here's what I think - performances were great. Soundtrack is even better (which I am coming to expect from Braff's films). On the film's Web site, the cast/crew talk about how Garden State (which I loved) was about being confused in your 20s, and how this movie is the next step - being confused in your 30s. My problem with this? I tend to run out of patience with folks who are still confused in their 30s. I mean, GROW UP already. I think your 20s are about exploration, confusion, et al. But by the time you're turning 30, you ought to be mature enough not to go around wounding the people you love. Geez, take a big boy pill. Michael makes a HUGE, STUPID mistake, particularly for someone with a bun in the oven. And he does it knowing totally what he's doing. He DECIDES to hurt someone. And if I were his pregnant girlfriend, I'm not totally sure what I would have done. But it might have involved a sharp knife.

Sooo, check this movie out if you're in your 30s and still confused. But if you've already grown up, check out The Last Kiss soundtrack and rent a different movie.

Comments