No treasure here

I recently watched The Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. Those are 2 1/2 hours of my life that I will never get back. Let me preface this review by saying that I LOVED the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I thought Johnny Depp was pure genius in it, and the love story between Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan made for fabulous, romantic entertainment.

Then I saw the second movie. While not without merit, it certainly wasn't as good as the first one. And the ending was crappy with a capital "C." Based on my opinion of the second movie, I didn't make an effort to go see the third installment in the theatre.

But then hubby got the DVD as part of his Christmas haul, and we watched it.

BIG mistake.

First of all, there was just too much junk going on - Capt. Sparrow in Davy Jones' locker, the pirate kings getting together, the Calypso storyline (and the Calypso/Davy Jones relationship), the tenuous Sparrow/Turner/Swan love triangle, and on and on and on. It was too much to keep up with, but more than that, it was too much to care about. And so I didn't. Plus, the ending was just preposterous. (And yes, I continued to watch until after the credits rolled. Now, imagine that same scene in about 40 years. The captain of The Flying Dutchman doesn't age, remember? Ick.)

At any rate, I DON'T recommend this movie. And here's hoping that the weak set-up they provided for still ANOTHER installment goes unfulfilled.

Shiver me timbers.

Comments