Something's been cooking . . .

For a while, we'd been wanting to remodel our kitchen. We'd decided to re-face the cabinet doors, install new countertops (The old laminate ones were chipping.), add/update some lighting, and tile the backsplash. After a lot of thought, we decided on a transitional style with nods to the American farmhouse look. We found an awesome apron-front sink at a local store, hunted up a bridge faucet online, and we were off!

In early June, the project began. Here's what we started with:




I've had a blue and yellow kitchen for as long as I've been an adult. I still love the color combination, but I was ready for a change. In addition, the old kitchen was skimpy on lighting (and what we did have was very dated).

Five weeks later, here's where we ended up:




The wall color is a pale olive, the countertops are angola silver granite, and we chose a simple white subway tile for the backsplash. We also added two custom open cabinets to hold extra stuff and faced the peninsula in beadboard to reinforce the farmhouse look.

My favorite thing, though, is the lighting. We replaced the dated central flourescent fixture with five pot lights, added two pendants over the peninsula, replaced the fixture over the eat-in portion of the kitchen, and added under cabinet lighting. (The under cabinet lighting is AMAZING. If you are considering remodeling, PLEASE think about adding under cabinet lighting. I can't tell you how much I love it.)

I won't lie to you. There were times during the five-week process that I wondered if we'd ever finish. But we stuck it out, and I couldn't be more pleased with the result. I LOVE cooking in this new space!

Comments

Di Shute said…
You did a great job! This is a beautiful kitchen! And you are so right about the under cabinet lighting.
Nicole Bradshaw said…
Glad you like it! Up next (once my sanity and my bank account has recovered) - the guest bath!