ALL the books!


I've been reading quite a bit lately, and I thought I'd share a few three-sentence reviews on some of my favorites!

1.) Commonwealth by Ann Patchett. I've loved Patchett ever since being dumbfounded by Bel Canto years ago. This book spans decades and tells the story of two families whose lives messily intertwine. Characters are so strong and real.

2.) The Hopefuls by Jennifer Close. The voice of Beth, the narrator of this novel, is so clear and sympathetic in this book. I loved how she described and reacted to the detailed ecosystem of young, ambitious, would-be politicians she observed. I also liked how complex the core relationships were here - not just between characters, but within characters. (P.S. I later read Close's Girls in White Dresses, but didn't like it as well as this book.) 

3.) Dispatches from Pluto by Richard Grant. This hilarious book about the Mississippi Delta is so spot-on that it should be criminal. I laughed out loud multiple times, and some of the descriptions have had enough staying power to remain with me months later. This book got me through a very difficult time.

4.) Big Little Lies, The Hypnotist's Love Story, and Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty. I'm late to the Moriarty party, and I'm so sorry!! I loved all of these books, but I loved Big Little Lies the most. I'm now a confirmed Moriarty fan!

5.) Wintering by Peter Geye. I found this novel via my library's free-checkout app, and I'm glad I did. It tells the story of a family and their relationships against the backdrop of the Minnesota winter. Appreciation for your ancestors/history, respect for the brutality of nature, and acceptance of the things you cannot change are all powerful themes.

6.) The Gardner Heist by Ulrich Boser. I have a trip to Boston coming up, so I read this book in anticipation of visiting the Isabella Gardner Museum. What a page-turner! I loved the caper of this real-life mystery, and I hope the art is one day recovered.

7.) Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. I suffered emotional trauma at the hands of this book. I loved these characters, I was infuriated by them, but most of all, I understood them. This book felt true. 

8.) 41: A Portrait of My Father by George W. Bush. I'd been meaning to read this book for ages, particularly since we visited the George W. Bush Presidential Library last fall. It was a love letter from son to father, a touching tribute with an incredibly unique perspective. I walked away with a better understanding of what drove Bush Sr. 

9.) Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg. Five years after its debut, I revisited what has become a classic for women working outside the home. While parts of it have not aged well, there is still much food for thought here. And as our national conversation around gender equality and gender politics evolves, it's interesting to look back periodically - recognizing how far we've come and how far we've yet to go. 


Comments