The Cutest Babies in the World (cont.)

Rockaway Beach
Day 4

On day 4 of my visit to Oregon, we spent the day at the beach! We made breakfast, and after eating, we headed down to the water.

Owen used the beach toys helpfully provided by the cottage owners to "collect sand," we met and played with other families on the beach, and we enjoyed sipping wine and snacking on the cheese plates we fashioned from our purchases on the drive down.

For those who have never been to a beach in the Pacific Northwest, it's important to consider that it's likely not the beach you're used to. The Gulf of Mexico beaches we grew up going to are hot, with blue-green waters, a beating sun, and the need for umbrellas. In the Pacific Northwest, you'll find COAST. It's often chilly, windy, cloudy/rainy, with rocky beaches. It feels wilder, like you are out in nature rather than navigating a tourist area.

I love it.

We watched movies in the cottage (I mean, they had The Incredibles. Say no more, as far as Owen was concerned!), cooked dinner, and had a lovely, relaxing day.



Day 5

Though the day started a bit cloudy, the haze burned off soon enough, and we were treated to deep blue views. Owen and I hit the beach again that morning while Grace tended to Maggie.

About mid-morning, we decided to drive to Cannon Beach, where Grace used to live and work. We started at the Cannon Beach History Center and Museum. This facility was Grace's former employer, so we had a chance to meet some of her colleagues in addition to browsing the excellent collections. We got Maggie fed and changed, and everyone took time to fuss and coo over her! She obliged by being adorable, and then we explored the exhibits about the area's history and natural resources.

After our trip to the museum, it was a quick walk to downtown Cannon Beach. We stopped to swing through a farmer's market, then made our way to Bill's Tavern and Brewhouse for lunch. We had seafood and other yummies in a casual atmosphere, then checked out a downtown toy store and candy emporium.

Then, we walked down to the beach! When you arrive waterside at Cannon Beach, Haystack Rock dominates the skyline. It is HUGE! Much like any large monument, it looks closer than it is. We walked all the way down the beach to get to it, marveling at its hulking permanence. At the base, you can even go tide pooling! We had such fun in the wind and the surf, and our photos and videos of the sea spray being wrapped around Haystack Rock by the wind were amazing!

Haystack Rock is incredible. 

After enjoying the sun and sand a bit, we headed back to the car for a quiet night and dinner in at the beach cottage.

Day 6

We awoke this morning, breakfasted, packed up, and made the drive back home. On this trip, Maggie slept blissfully in the car seat, so we were able to make excellent time.  When we made it back, we unpacked and relaxed a bit at the house, shaking sand out of . . . everything!

How can I be far away from
this sweet face? HOW?
That afternoon, I took Owen to the community pool for a swim. The pool is walkable from their house, and it wasn't too crowded! We splashed, met some of Grace's neighbors, and enjoyed some of the free pool toys that the community makes available in the poolside bins.

That night, we all drove to the farmer's market that takes place in Grace's neighborhood once a week. This was so fun! They have live music, tons of vendors (fruit, veggies, etc.), plus food you can buy and eat right there (caramel corn, brick oven pizza, a wine and beer tent, son-cones, etc.).

We had a blast! We got drinks, listened to the music, and ate nibbles at each booth. We shared a big, delicious pizza, and I got Owen a sno-cone. Then, Ryan and Owen went to an event on Mount Hood while Grace and I cuddled little Maggie for the evening.

Day 7

This day was pack-car-airport-plane-home. I hated to leave. I absolutely hated it. Hated to leave my sister, my nephew, and my sweet new niece. I may have cried a little.

Since returning home, I've demanded regular photo and video updates, and I've sent new little outfits (and stylish hats, if I do say so myself) northward. It is absolutely unfair that the cutest babies in the world are so far from me.

I am counting the minutes until Christmas, when I see my sweet loves again!



Comments