Everything's Bigger in Texas



Including the state fair! The annual Texas State Fair is the longest-running state fair in the nation, and it's also the biggest. I first attended it back in 2017, and, frankly, it ruined me for any other state fair. Ever since then, I've been trying to get back to visit Big Tex (the fair's official mascot) and all of my Lone Star State friends. 


Hey, Big Tex!


By chance, I happened to be in Dallas for business a few weeks ago, and I seized the opportunity to spend an evening at the fair! My friendly uber driver dropped me off at Gate 5, I picked up a map, and I was off! My first stop was to buy some fair coupons, which serve as your currency at the fair. You use them as admission for rides and also to purchase food and drinks. 

Then, it was a quick hop to say hello to Big Tex, who's been a fixture at the fair since 1952. (The 55-foot statue wears the equivalent of a size 96 boot!) After that, I took a turn down First Avenue to check out the Texas Auto Show, an impressive collection of the latest and greatest cars and trucks. (I was particularly interested to see my first-ever Ford F-150 Lightning, which is all-electric and looks like something out of a sci-fi movie! So cool!)


Sunset from the ferris wheel. 


Then, I headed down Lone Star Boulevard, stopping at the Hall of State to check out exhibits on the history of the fair. They have vintage bumper cars, one of Elvis Presley's guitars, and even a former head of Big Tex on display. Then, I enjoyed some live music at the Chevrolet Main Stage for a bit. 


As the sun set, I hopped on a ferris wheel near the stage so I could catch it slipping below the Dallas skyline. Beautiful. I made my way down Nimitz Circle, stopping in the Creative Arts building to admire the prize-winning quilts, crafts, and art. (They had miniature butter sculptures on display! The one of the Alamo was very detailed.)

As night fell, I got myself a bag of taffy (all types of flavors, for trying) and started riding a few rides. I love the small rollercoasters and the caterpillar rides. I walked down the midway and checked out the greenhouse, backtracking to take in the fair's signature ferris wheel - the Texas Star. Then, I traded a few coupons for a ride on the sky tram to take in beautiful views of the midway lit up at night. 

Once I got off the tram, I happened to be at Big Tex again, right as the fireworks were going off! So beautiful! After that, it was a quick walk back to the ride share pickup, and back to my hotel for some well-earned rest! 

If you ever get the chance to go to the Texas State Fair, just go. Trust me on this one. Bring all of your money, but go. It's like nothing else I've ever experienced, and it's everything (and more) that a state fair should be.

Happy fall!




Comments