Me Camp (cont.)



Day 3

The next morning, I started the day with my customary sunrise beach walk. I saw a heron very interestedly sidle up to a pair of fishermen, as if to say, "I, too, enjoy fish." They ran him off, but he settled at the shoreline nearby, watchful. Little thief! 

Then, I made a lovely breakfast back at the condo, enjoying the meal on the gorgeous 14th-floor balcony. Once my food had settled a bit, I took Stephanie's advice! There was a local vendor - Paddled by You - where you could rent kayaks on Cotton Bayou. You could then paddle to a series of small bayou islands that are mostly home to birds and wildlife. It sounded right up my alley, so I threw on my swimsuit, loaded up with suncreen, water, and snacks, and headed out.  


This place was GREAT. Super-friendly owner who gets you set up with everything you need - a dry bag for your towel, a waterproof case for your phone, etc., PLUS your kayak, paddle and life jacket. He also has great maps of the area you'll paddle in. 

After a brief orientation, I was out on the water. It was a very quick paddle to Crab Island, the smallest one. I found tons of (inhabited) shells, all kinds of birds, and an oddly perfect abandoned pair of shoes and socks. Next it was Bird Island and Robinson Island, both of which were purchased by the city of Orange Beach to preserve areas for wildlife and prevent them from being developed. There's some signage that tells you a little bit about the islands and the animals that live on them. 

If you bring a towel and a cooler with some drinks/snacks, you can practically have your own private beach out there, as these little islands can only be reached by boat. There were some locals here and there, and a charter every so often, but for the most part, I had a private island for a little over an hour. (Heh.) 

After I'd enjoyed the sun and the water, I paddled back, turned in my gear, and headed for a late lunch at Doc's Seafood and Steaks. On the excellent advice of my waitress, I got the grilled shrimp with a side of fries, and I ate it up! Delish!

Then, it was back to the condo for another beach walk, a dip in the hot tub (I'd paddled for three hours that morning!), a shower, and wine and snacks (in lieu of a big dinner) on the balcony. 

I slept sooo well that night. 


My own private island. 


Day 4

After waking, I enjoyed a sunrise walk on the beach. As I walked, I saw a fever of sting rays swimming right on the shore! Some of them swam close enough to the surface that the tips of their wings broke the surface of the water with little fluttering movements! So enchanting to see these animals in the wild!


Lunch at Villaggio Grille



I then enjoyed a delicious breakfast at the condo. I'd decided to spend my last full morning on the beach, so I suited up and soaked up the sun for a few hours. Mid-morning, a large pod of dolphins swam right by the shore for several long minutes, repeatedly cresting for air. Beautiful. I walked up and down the shoreline, swam in the ocean again, and found myself finally just . . . not thinking about anything. I felt the warm sun. I felt the wind. I heard the sounds. But I was able to finally turn my brain off and just exist. 

I think I get why people are so into meditation. Calming your mind is a skill. 

Sometime around lunch, I showered, put on a beach dress, and headed down to The Wharf to rustle up some lunch. I found it at Villaggio Grille, a great Italian place where I had salmon with broccolini and risotto. A perfect choice! I was in and out quickly, service was prompt and knowledgable, and the salmon was done to a turn. 

After lunch, I spent a little more time shopping at The Wharf, finding a few more cute beach dresses, some specialty teas, and (maybe) an ice cream cone. Then, it was back to the condo for another soak in the hot tub and more wine on the balcony. 

I finished by packing up and starting to get the condo ready for check out in the morning. 

You will love hunting murals in Hattiesburg! They are everywhere and so much fun to find!


Day 5

On my last morning at Me Camp, I took a last, longing walk on the beach, ate a bit of breakfast, and bid my little condo goodbye. Then, I pointed my GPS to Hattiesburg

Again, since I had no one but myself to please, I'd decided to stop there at lunch, eat, and spend a little time nosing around. It was another perfect day for driving (I really was blessed with good weather on this trip; it was perfect every day.), and I'd heard good things about T-Bones Records & Cafe. I mapped straight to it, and arrived for lunch to find a cool record shop, a two-piece band playing, and some yummy eats! 




I got the steak gyro with chips, and I enjoyed them on the shaded patio. (All around me were all kinds of characters - young people studying as they ate, a striking young woman knitting something fluffy and yellow, two matrons lunching and gossiping, etc.) Then, I browsed the neat merchandise (so many cool records and books) to the live tunes. This place has such a great vibe. 

Once I'd finished up there, I decided to go on a mural hunt. Hattiesburg has invested in a lot of public art in recent years, and they've created a handy dandy app that can help you find it! I mapped my way to several colorful murals and a few sculptures, and I loved this. I could have mural-hunted all day, but I decided to save some for my next visit!


Stranger Things at The Lucky Rabbit!



After a great lunch and a little art appreciation, I had one last stop to make before leaving town. If you've never been to The Lucky Rabbit, you need to go. It's a mish-mash of boutique, flea market, building salvage, and whimsy. I'd been before, but they have seriously upped their game since my last visit. As Halloween is upon us, they have tons of photo vignettes for customers to go wild in - recreations of sets from Stranger Things and Schitt's Creek; a small hidden movie theatre in the back (currently screening Hocus Pocus); antique (working) arcade games; legit nearly a whole McDonald's (in pieces) - the Mayor McCheese from the playground, Ronald sitting on a bench, signage, you name it - just everything you can possible think of. 

It. Is. A. Delight! 

Honestly. They have everything.
I found a cute fall top and tons of things that made me smile and laugh here. If I hadn't just eaten, they also sell snacks and drinks! You will LOVE your visit here. Just go!


Once I'd gotten my kitsch on, it was a quick drive home, where I gratefully fell into the arms of Team Bradshaw. (I do so love them, even if I do enjoy the occasional few days alone.) 

In summary - I loved Me Camp. We should all be doing it. Listen to your inner voice, and you'll know when you need to plan one. I will definitely be doing it again! 

Comments