Me Camp



My summers are busy. It's a particularly hectic time at work for me, and if I want any rest or relaxation, I have to snatch it from the jaws of crisis response. Every once in a while, though, I'm able to slip out for a few days to recharge and clear my head. 

At the end of September, after a particularly bruising few weeks, I got just such an opportunity. I had a glorious stretch of days - Wednesday afternoon, and all day Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - to myself. On a bit of a lark, I booked a condo in Orange Beach, Alabama, filled my car up with gas, and hit the road. Because it was so last-minute, I was traveling alone, but I didn't mind. (I enjoy my own company.) And, having recently followed Jen Hatmaker's "Me Camp" adventures on social media, I thought it would be just the thing for what ailed me.


You find Rodin in the oddest 
places, no? 



Day 1

I left the Jackson area just after lunch. It was absolutely glorious weather for driving and touring - sunny, not too hot, breezy. Because I had no one to please but myself, I decided to drive a bit out of my way to visit pretty little Laurel, Mississippi. The Lauren Rogers Museum of Art had been on my list to visit for YEARS, but I'd never made it over there. 

This jewel-box of a museum is tucked into lovely old downtown Laurel, surrounded by tall trees and elegant historic homes (some of which have been converted into bed and breakfasts). Admission is free, but you'll definitely want to make a donation after enjoying the collection. I parked on the street, and I was greeted by a lovely representative in the lobby. She gave me some literature, a map, and some quick highlights of the collection, and I was off.

It's such a beautiful place. The museum was created in honor of a young man who died in his prime, and it sits on the foundation of the house he was building for he and his young wife. The permanent collection includes some stirring American work, an arresting gallery of Japanese woodblock prints (so cool to see how they are made and colored), and a collection of intricate Native American basketry (including some "micro-baskets" that require a magnifying glass to fully appreciate).  

A shiny green Chihuly hangs over the stairwell, and when I was there, the exhibition on the lower floor was a fantastic contemporary collection of reliefs and sculptures called Paste and Cut. It was so inventive. I stood in front of several of these pieces for a long time. 


Preme 2020 by Alfred Conteh





After getting my art on at the museum, my stomach was rumbling! I decided to grab an early dinner before hitting the road again, and I found myself at the Bird Dog Cafe. It's a charming place, and in no time, I was enjoying a monster salad and sipping a cold glass of sauvignon blanc. The food was good, my server (Megan) was a delight, and in a snap, I was heading south once again. 

I'd booked a one-bedroom condo at Phoenix V, square in the middle of Orange Beach, via AirBnB. I don't typically stay in quite such a central location, as I prefer lonelier beaches. However, it was late in the season, and I was traveling alone, so I figured what crowds there were would be smaller, and a little people watching might not be a bad idea. I reached my condo shortly after dark, checked in, and relaxed on the ocean-front balcony before turning in for the night. 

Day 2

Thursday was my first full day of Me Camp, and the weather was absolute perfection. I started my day as I always do when I'm near the ocean - a long beach walk at sunrise. I love watching the sun come up, seeing what's washed ashore overnight, and following the little terns as they run along the water's edge, hunting up breakfast. It was a bit chilly, so I was glad I'd brought a sweater. (Even so, I still walked with my feet in the water! I can't resist.)

Next, I dressed in my activewear and stopped by The Ruby Slipper for breakfast. This New-Orleans-born breakfast place offers reliably yummy (and heart-stopping) plates of all kinds. Wait times can be heinous if you visit during the busy season, so I recommend joining the online waitlist to manage your time better. I was seated quickly and ordered the Florentine omelet with a cup of coffee and a side of fruit. The food came quickly, it was delicious, and there was plenty of it. 


Currently in a relationship with: the ocean

As I chewed and sipped, I reviewed a handful of rack cards I'd picked up in the lobby of the resort. My waitress, Stephanie, noticed, and she asked me how long I was in town. I began sharing, and pretty soon, she was recommending all sort of activities, including a kayak rental place and a sunset cruise vendor. Before I'd left, she'd brought me a few NEW rack cards, and my mind was bubbling with plans. 


Biking at Gulf State Park!




Once fed, it was off to Gulf State Park for some biking. The park is in a super-convenient location, and it's gorgeous. Friends and I had biked there last summer, and I was looking forward to getting back on the trails and covering some new ground on this visit. I rented a bike at the little vendor near the park entrance, and I was off! 

It was another glorious day, with plenty of sunshine and wind. If you're going to be out on the trails for any length of time, you're going to want to apply sunscreen and bring water. (You can get a bike with a basket on the front for your water and park map. Easy.) There are restrooms and water fountains along some of the trails if you need a break, and tons of benches and wildlife viewing areas. (I saw eagles nesting!) There are also a couple of lakes on property, as well as a butterfly garden and a few small climbing rocks. I had a fantastic time exploring new trails here!

I did a long loop, with a few stops on the way to sightsee (and maybe spend a little time playing on a lonely swing set), before turning in my bike a couple of hours later. Then, it was off to grab some supplies and groceries for the condo. There are tons of places nearby to pick up necessities, so I grabbed milk, eggs, coffee, and fruit for the mornings, plus snacks like popcorn, nuts, and crackers. I finished it off with a bit of chicken salad, dark chocolate, and a bottle of pinot noir. 

I munched a little bit on these goodies while I stowed them away in the kitchen, then slipped into my swimsuit for more walking on the beach, plus a dip in the ocean. I do so love to swim in the ocean. The waves were gentle, and a whole school of small fish darted all around me at one point. I walked up and down the shoreline some more, turned my face to the sun, and felt the breeze in my hair. A great afternoon.


Dinner at Sunset Cork Room



As evening approached, I was getting hungry again. (Are you noticing a theme here?) I hopped in the shower, gussied up a bit, and set my sights on the Sunset Cork Room. Though I'd never been here before, the place got great reviews on TripAdvisor, so I thought I'd give it a shot. What a gem! I was there fairly early, so it wasn't crowded at all. I was immediately seated, and I started with a glass of red, a basket of bread and butter, a petite filet (which came with asparagus), and an order of risotto. Divine. Divine!! Service was impeccable. Food was great. And as I was finishing my meal, they had a musician or two setting up, so if you're looking for live entertainment, they appear to offer that as well. Highly recommended.

But I had other ideas for the rest of the evening. I'd heard there was a free public sunset concert on the beach at Gulf Shores, and I was excited to check it out. I found the location easily, pulled my picnic blanket out of the trunk, and spread out on the grass near the stage. What fun! It was a gorgeous night, the community was out enjoying the weather and the music, and the sunset was breathtaking. I stayed until well after dark, then went back to the condo for one more glass of wine on the balcony and a bit of reading before bed. 

More to come . . . 




Comments