The Forgotten is, well, kinda forgettable.

Hubby and I watched The Forgotten, with Julianne Moore, over the weekend. I know that it was poorly received critically, and I have no idea what this film's numbers were at the box office. I really can't honestly reccommend this movie, so I suppose I don't have much new information to report! The movie was good enough, I guess, but the premise was so fantastical that I had a hard time staying engaged. And the ending was even more improbable. I tend to stay with plots that are unbelieveable more in adventure-type stories than in sci-fi plots. (Not sure why; just a quirk, I guess.)

Anyway, despite all of the above, Julianne Moore did her best to turn in a good performance. She dealt with the far-fetched plot as well as any actor could. I will never forget the first time I really noticed that Julianne Moore could act. (And I mean, really act.) I was a theatre student at Millsaps College. We were in a small, blue room (with crummy acoustics) for an acting class one afternoon. The professor rolled out a television on a cart and started playing Vanya on 42nd Street, directed by Louis Malle. The production was adapted by David Mamet (a playwright I LOVE), based on Chekhov's Uncle Vanya. The show was rather improbably cast, but all the performances in it were absolutely enthralling. If you have not seen this treatment of Uncle Vanya, I urge you to rent it, buy it, or do whatever you have to do to see it. Talk about acting. I don't think I really understood what acting was until I saw this. As far as performances go, it was a tour de force. Brooke Smith was heartbreaking, just heartbreaking, as Sonya.

Comments